Caribou Gear

Idaho Spud - Texas Transplant

BackofBeyond

Hi all, I've been a regularly partaking of Mr. Newberg's platforms for quite a while (YouTube, Podcasts, Amazon Prime) so I figured I'd give this forum a try.

Both my wife and I are Idaho natives (her: Cd'A, me: Kellogg), but now live in Texas. We've been down here for 5 years and we both miss our mountains. We both grew up in avid outdoors families, backpacking, fly-fishing, hunting, snow shoeing, skiing etc. Now that we live in Texas, we miss the easy access to public ground. Yes, there's more opportunities for work here, but we long for the national forest areas we grew up in. It's one of those "don't know what you have until it's gone" kind of things. Nothing like having to schedule a hike 3 weeks in advance to make you realize how easy it was to just say "hey, wanna go run up to Jordan Camp this afternoon?"

If there's any TX transplants here, that grew up with easy access to public ground, how did you adjust to 99% private ground aspect of TX?

Like I said before, I grew up elk-hunting. My mom likes to tell a story about when I went on my first sleep-over as a kid and complained that "the hamburgers tasted funny." My mom kindly informed me that they tasted funny because it was beef, not elk burger. I was lucky enough to take a cow elk my second year hunting, when I was 12, and have been hooked ever since. Living down here, with limited vacation time, has put a damper on my elk hunting, but some friends of mine and I are headed to CO this year in October. They're all avid hunters, but I'm the only one with any elk experience, we've booked a drop camp to make it a little easier, and will be putting in for 1st rifle in Unit 71. If we draw great, if not the booking will still be good for 2nd rifle. I'm sure we'll have a great time, even if we leave with all our tags in our pockets... for me, it'll just feel good to be in the mountains.

Besides hunting, I'm also a backpacker, shooter, reloader, and have a decent collection of old Winchesters. It started with a hand-me-down Model 94 and grew exponentially from there. I've shot them all, no safe-queens allowed. The tinkering, maintenance, and reloading of odd-ball, out of production calibers appeals to my inner nerd. Don't get me wrong, I also have modern rifles in magnum calibers (which I love shooting,) but there's just something sweet about shooting a lever gun that was made before your grandfather was born.

That's basically me in a nut shell. From what lurking I've done, there's a lot of knowledge contained in the collective members of this forum... I hope I can bring something to the table.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back