Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho Spring Bear

I’m a non-res also in the process of planning my first unguided Idaho spot and stalk hunt. Purchased an OTC general season deer tag but am unable to make the trip next fall so now looking to use the tag on a black bear this spring instead. The tag is for unit 51 (Lemhi Elk Zone - Upper Snake Region). This will be my first ever Bear Hunt and I would like to know if it’s worth my time to hunt this unit for black bear. I’ve got low expectations and enjoy camping just as much as hunting so I’m fine with low harvest odds.

Any advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Currently in the military on the east coast so making plans for a trip like this doesn’t come easy.
You can only use that deer tag on a bear if the deer season is open at the same time. So no go for spring use

I’m a non-res also in the process of planning my first unguided Idaho spot and stalk hunt. Purchased an OTC general season deer tag but am unable to make the trip next fall so now looking to use the tag on a black bear this spring instead.

Any advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated
Start buy reading regulations, once you turn in your tag and buy a blackbear tag start your own thread and ssk for help

I bought a tag and was wondering if unit 33 was glassable? If not I am thinking unit 19? Last year drew at 32 tag (not 32a) and pretty much just saw yotes, elk, mulies and grassland... bear so far seems to be my Achilles heal...

How did the hunt go? prime time for spring bear in my area is first week of June. April is complete waste of time and May is spotty but gets better and the last week is best part of May. June 1 to the 15th is prime time. Hope you can report back with some success or at least a great time.

How did the hunt go? prime time for spring bear in my area is first week of June. April is complete waste of time and May is spotty but gets better and the last week is best part of May. June 1 to the 15th is prime time. Hope you can report back with some success or at least a great time.
I went to unit 14. I saw one sow with a cub. As usual, list of elk a few wolf tracks and a few whitetail in the mix. Each time I have learned something and it was a good time. I might try and go later. I believe I went May 5-10ish

I went to unit 14. I saw one sow with a cub. As usual, list of elk a few wolf tracks and a few whitetail in the mix. Each time I have learned something and it was a good time. I might try and go later. I believe I went May 5-10ish

👍 thanks for update. first week to middle of June would be prime time if you go again. You were early for anywhere I have hunted bears in Idaho. Plus the boars start cruising for sows in June. See a lot more big bears at that time

Hey everyone! I am thinking of doing a spot and stalk bear hunt OTC, in Idaho. I want to hunt somewhere I can get plenty of glassing in, and I am not planning on doing any baiting. If you had to pick 2 units/areas with that info- where would you head? I am leaning towards 2nd week of June? I can hunt rifle, but I am bringing my bow as primary. I am a disabled veteran but my disability will not limits me much, I do not own a side by side, or a horse, it will be on foot.
I was thinking Selway, but everyone tells me horror stories about that place, I am not afraid of the work, just burry me if I die lol.
interested and following

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back