Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Idaho NR Gen Tag Count

Bullshot

Idaho website says "Statewide quotas for nonresident deer tags (15,500) and elk tags (12,815) have remained the same for nearly 30 years." Indeed, those are still the numbers listed on the tag quota page, in the summary header. But the same website also says "The zone limits on nonresident elk tags will not only ensure more even distribution of nonresident elk hunters, it will also result in a reduction of over 600 elk tags sold to nonresidents in general elk hunts based on current participation rates

So if I add up all the unit-specific quota for deer (14,066) and for elk (11,724) it appears that overall general tag numbers were not just re-distributed but were in fact cut quite more substantially, 1434 / 9.2% for deer and 1091 / 8.5% for elk. Did I do this correctly? If so, the Idaho residents will be happy. And perhaps the tag buying mania is rational and justified after all.

I think you are right for elk. Did you add the whitetail quota of 1500 to the deer total?

ID elk tags sold out in 3 days or less. wow. *

edit:
*I’m wrong again. only most of the better ones. they now have two lists , available and sold out. I really would have been shocked if they had sold that fast. end result will get there, just not today!

Last edited:
Bunch of elk tags left in the data I’m seeing. Just because it isn’t where a person wanted doesn’t mean the statewide quota is gone
Wow, two factual fails in the same thread. Sorry. I think I caught it when they were updating the list, the only thing listed were sold out tags. now the list is split in two, with available tags in separate list up top. Can’t keep up and shouldn’t try!

Also remember that the quota posted represents outfitter tags too which I believe are 10-15% of the total. I could be wrong with the percentage but know that the Outfitters get a percentage of the tags that don't show up on the general page.

Back