MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho muzzleloader bullet/powder/primer options

smitty661

Hey there, I just bought my first muzzleloader (CVA Optima v2 northwest) and am looking for some recommendations on bullets, powders and primers. In Idaho they have to be lead or lead alloy, no sabots, you have to use loose powder, and you have to use musket caps. I ordered the rifle on line and will head to black sheep or cabelas to check out my options on my next day off. If anybody could let me know if they have had any luck with a good Idaho legal combination, please let me know. Otherwise ill just have to buy a few of each and experiment.

thanks,
Smitty

Though I have not shot anything yet with the combo, I use the Hornady Great Plains .50 cal. HP bullet (385 grs. if I remember right), Pyrodex Select (90 grs.) and RWS musket caps. This combo shoots well enough for me out to 100 yds with the iron sights I have on my rifle (Knight Bighorn). Best of luck to you!

Just FYI doesn't have to be a musket cap, can be a percussion cap, IE #10 or 11. I've not had good luck with cci, your mileage may vary. Other than that, I've always used pyrodex, and really like the hornady bullets. 90 grains is a good starting point.

I have been using Hornady Great Plains bullets, Triple 7 powder and RWS #11 caps for years with great success. Very reliable and easy to clean. I'm using an older .54 cal Knight inline.

Here's my (edit: Idaho ML) setup:
  • Knight Bighorn
  • CCI MAGNUM #11 caps. This is important as the standard caps don't burn as hot and can have ignition issues
  • 90 gr of Tripple 7 FFFg. This was more accurate and consistent for me than FFg.
  • 460gr No-Excuses conicals sized at .503" (They are available in .502,.503 & .504, and probably any other size you would need)
  • MMP 50 Cal Sub Base under the conical. <- This made a BIG improvement on accuracy
  • Williams Fool Proof Peep with target knobs for adjusting elevation allowing me to dial for distance
  • Lyman Globe sight on Williams low profile ramp with Lee Shavers crosshair inserts
Off the bench I can ring a 10" plate every time @ 200 yards. BUT, this is much harder to do in field conditions and at an actual critter that isn't bright orange!

Took my first animal with it this year (~100yards):

e1goZzKqiLKtlqYijjKAHXqXd380k5-veElH9ixyCfc_w_EdPEgpNwcbteX2pxbCB6R2siQ0J4K-8IA0D04KSnJG1oCjDSnzZt8y5jyrY8g353YgWlo3KnIYyYdY1PyC2PfsIVTFQg=w1346-h757-no

Couple general tips:

Get a second ram-rod. A muzzleloader without a ramrod is just a blunt spear or club.

Once decided on a load, mark both ramrods at the depth you seat at so you can always repeat it.

Between shots I found that running a licked (yes licked, one side only) patch down, wet side first, then dry side after, helped a lot to get consistent seating depths and accuracy.

I treat any shot over 100 yards like shooting a scoped rifle @ 400+ yards. For me, shot execution is VERY critical at 100+.

Couple helpful links:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure your breech plug is setup for musket caps. I'd use RSW brand if you can find them.

As mentioned, the No Excuses are good lead conicals. The 420gr with shoot good in your CVA. You'll have to buy them online.

Back