Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Mule Deer Hunt 2018

riv3rbanks

This is the year we drag our asses from Texas to Idaho in search of mule deer DIY style. It will be a first for both my buddy and I and we are beyond excited to give it a shot and see what it takes to tag a mule deer. I have been scouting out units via IDFG’s website and Google Earth. In addition I have been looking at success rates/harvest numbers/number of hunters/etc. in specific units in hopes of finding the unit with the most deer activity and least amount of pressure.

We are not looking for giant trophies, but rather a legal deer. This will be our first-time backcountry camping and are also looking for terrain that isn’t the hardest to hunt, but not so easy that everyone hunts it. We are hoping to hike 5-10 miles in and set up camp and hunt from there. We will be looking to start our hunt Oct 13/14 and end Oct 19/20.

From my research, I’ve narrowed it down to a couple units and am open to any advice I can get about the units or suggestions of other units that meet our criteria. I like the numbers and amount of public lands in units 50-51. I also like the fact that they are right next door to each other so both could be hunted/scouted if one is hotter than the next. And the other area we are leaning towards are units 36, 43, and 48 area.

I guess all I’m looking for here is advice and please point out if my plan is flawed as I have never done a trip like this. Thanks.

I don't think that's necessarily a flawed plan. There are deer in those units. I think 43 probably is the worst of the group because of the pressure. Just pick one and roll without too much overthinking. If you've got a week, I'd have 5-6 spots picked out. Backpacking in that far will be tough and really limit moving between different areas. If you do backpack, have a set time to pull out if you're not into deer and don't go in 10 miles. Look for sagebrush/bitterbrush, etc. as deer as browsers. Plan on basically no migration for bigger deer, maybe some with does. Glass at first and last light and use a tripod. You should be able to find a legal deer, much harder to find a biggun.

Read up on backpacking gear lists for this kind of hunt. There's lots of them here and on Rokslide and other sites. The trick is you might have 70 degree days but also likely 20-30 degree nights with the potential for a little colder. Most guys bring way too much clothes at first. I also recommend dry backpacking--no stove. Lots of good lists for that on the net too. It's getting popular.

Last edited:
Plan is not flawed as presented.

Getting here, knowing where/hows to find deer, what gear you will need, being in rugged country, etc. are all details that you will have to dive into.

Frankly, your first time here I think you will learn far more than we could ever post, and be significantly prepared for your second.

All I would suggest is changing your hunting dates if at all possible to the last week of the season. I have seen rut action begin the last week of October. Also if you are not afraid to take a good walk dont be afraid of the hunting pressure 90% of people here don’t get off the roads. Mule Deer might be tough next few years due to the one bad winter of 2016 and 2017 but they are still out there!

I'll echo the later in the season the better. All of the easy deer will be picked off the first couple days of the season by the locals. 10 miles may seem do able, but you will probably be way in over your head for your first western hunt. 10 miles with a full pack in the mountains can hurt if you're not used to it.

I was in 48 last year. Feel free to PM me.

looking forward to see how this hunt progresses. I turn 50 next year and plan on making the trek to Idaho to hunt muleys.

A lot of deer and some nice ones come out of the units that end on the 24th. I don't think you need to push your hunt back which would require a different unit. I guess 43 goes until the 31st but that wouldn't be my first choice.

Lots of great advice guys. Thanks. I’m starting to narrow this down to just 1-2 units. I’ve read some good info on 36a, just west of Stanley. Looks like really nice country for the most part and from what I’ve read there are deer there. Anyone have any input on that unit? I feel like I really won’t have a feel for this type of hunting until I’m there boots on ground. There’s only so much escouting tells you.

Being in those mtns 5 miles or over will be a bit much for your first western hunt. You could sure give it a try, but your feet will probably be hurting. Good luck though. Let us know how your Hunt turns out.

I personally think that you might be smarter to truck camp and for for a few bivouac type overnights. For one, you will be way more mobile. Second, if you find nice country at three miles from the truck you can spend the night and see how it goes. Less commitment to a spot might be a real benefit. Last, ten miles is a long long way to pack a deer for anyone. Not impossible but probably unnecessary. Success means a lot of things, but I think you’ll have more success, and probably just as high a likelihood of punching a tag in much less than ten miles. You’ll have a great time.

Maybe 5-10 miles was a preconceived amount. I like the idea of camping by the truck for the mobility and also being able to have more supplies. If we get into deer in a specific spot 3 miles in we could then set up camp and if we see nothing we can move onto another unit.

A good portion of your hiking can be offtrail. Three miles off trail in those steep units will get the lungs and legs burning if this is your first western hunt.

Man, were you guys right. No matter how much online research you do it can not prepare you for actually being there and hiking in those mountains. I had a blast on this trip and find myself daydreaming about the endless views Idaho provided.

The weather was just about perfect as far as comfort goes. A little cold at night for this Texan, but manageable. First Lite gear works very well for managing your temp throughout the hunt. The Army issued 0-degree sleeping bag doesn't work well for me but didn't let me freeze to death.

The mountains were much steeper than I had anticipated. They really got my legs and lungs going. Lowa boots and darn tough socks held up and I walked away without any blisters. Hiking in more than a mile with 40 lbs on your back in those mountains might be impossible :)

The roads and trails were very different than I had pictured in my mind. You're basically driving on dirt roads through the whole state, and forget about having cell service for navigating (Thankful I had OnX). Also, I learned the hard way you have to pay attention to the trail signs. Found myself having to go down a atv trail in my truck thinking I was gonna have to leave it there, but thankfully made it thru.

The locals, for the most part, were great and very helpful or at least came off as helpful. Some were quite funny and had some good stories to tell. It seemed like the thing to do in the towns we visited were:
1. Get off work 2. Grab a 5th from the liquor store, 3. drive around the BLM roads looking for deer and elk, 4. Repeat steps 1-3 every day. Gotta love the small towns.

All in all, I had a great time and got to see quite a bit of wildlife (Elk, Moose, Bighorn, Deer) but not any legal deer that weren't living in the towns or on the farmer's land. We tried hunting high up (11K ft) and down low (5K ft) and everything in between, but the deer were not moving where we were looking. I think the next time I head out west for a hunt it will be a draw hunt when the rut is in full stride.

Thank you to everyone here who offered advice and tips.

Last edited:
Glad you had a good time. It's cool when guys actually report back.

Don't give up. You were in units where guys see 100+ deer per day.... You just haven't found those spots within the spots yet. And glass, glass, glass, glass. Did I say glass? Glass some more.

It can take a few years to find those kind of spots, but once you do, you can't beat always knowing you can buy the tag OTC and not have to worry about the draw to have a great hunt.

Did I mention glassing? Glass a lot. And if that doesn't work, keep glassing....

Hi guys! I was fortunate enough to draw a controlled deer hunt in unit 36A this year and I am really excited for it. I have never really posted on a forum so I thought I might respond after doing some research and finding this thread. Would love any advice that would be given! I’m hiking every other day and getting ready and can’t wait!

Worked some forestry plots in 36A back in my younger days. Driven along its boundary many times. Tag runs until Nov 30. Hunt the last week and hope for snow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back