Idaho General Deer

zicpick

Guys, I'm planning a trip to Idaho for 2018, wanting to do a diy hunt in a general unit.Having a hard time narrowing down which areas to concentrate on and looking for suggestions.. Just looking for an are with good populations. THX

ID has boat loads of deer, if you put some effort into planning and scouting you shouldn't have a problem finding deer throughout the state. For shear numbers the panhandle is hard to beat.

Are you looking for mulies only, whitetails only, or a unit where you have a chance at both? Also, what terrain are you wanting to hunt?

ID has boat loads of deer, if you put some effort into planning and scouting you shouldn't have a problem finding deer throughout the state. For shear numbers the panhandle is hard to beat.

How are muley numbers in the panhandle? Having never been there, I've always thought of it as whitetail country with a few mule deer mixed in.

You got it, mainly WT with some MD mixed in. But the WT #s are staggering. I've heard rumors that some of the best MD come from the alpine in the panhandle, but I've stuck more to WT.

You got it, mainly WT with some MD mixed in. But the WT #s are staggering. I've heard rumors that some of the best MD come from the alpine in the panhandle, but I've stuck more to WT.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I disagree with the rumors that the best mulies come from the idaho panhandle, alpine or otherwise. Sure there are some good ones every now and then but for the most part the best mule deer and more of them come from the southern half of the state. If you are coming for an out of state hunt and looking looking for mule deer and a classic mule deer type hunt, I would look south.

Almost all will get you a deer if you hunt hard. You like it steep and rough or more open and gentle?

the less other hunters the better. id prefer to hunt some of the more rugged terrain. wanting to chase muleys, not really interested in WT on this trip.

Are you looking for mulies only, whitetails only, or a unit where you have a chance at both? Also, what terrain are you wanting to hunt?

just wanting to go after muleys this trip. I'm looking to get as far away from other hunters as possible, and really prefer to get into some rugged country. I live in Arkansas right now, so most of my scouting has been done online so far. I am planning a trip put there to scout over the summer, but would like to have my hunt area narrowed down as much as possible.

Yep, Central Idaho has the most rugged county, but if you don't want a full Frank Church experience, I have seen some good bucks pulled from the mountains outside of Mackay & Challis

Heading to 28/29 this year for Deer and 28 for Elk. We pulled a 5x4 MD off of a fire road but only saw 2 bucks the entire 4 days we hunted (harvested them both). I'm guessing we have to get away from the crowds and out to the edges of the zones. Will be making an October and November trip this year. I wish you luck. That is some rugged but yet some of the most beautiful country I have been in. Cant wait to get back at it.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back