Idaho Elk

Idhikker

Idaho elk is tough hunting as an OTC option. Capped zones that you have to buy a tag before application season and then uncapped zones and a free for all and busy areas otherwise. Then you're stuck with a small group of units rather than any general unit in the state like Wyoming which prevents movement to new country. Idaho is also very rugged in many places and it just makes it hard for many people to hack it if they aren't athletes. Hells Canyon is the deepest Canyon in the US and I think there's many places just as steep and rough. Idaho is overrated in a lot of ways. A unit people that's popular with nonresidents has 7 outfitters and over 1000 elk hunters and almost as many deer hunters with a limited number of access points which really congregates people. I sincerely think there are better options. That said, Idaho might not have a large quantity of trophy bulls but it's an opportunity state and it gives people a chance to hunt.

If you're set on Idaho and already have a plan in place for a hunt outside of far Eastern Idaho or the Panhandle, feel free to PM with questions about your hunt plan.

Idaho controlled hunt odds are gnarly for nonresidents and require a $150 non refundable license. There's some good opportunities there though if you know where to look.

I've talked to a lot of guys on Rokslide but not so much here. Always enjoy chatting hunting.

Back