Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Idaho Elk

JWhunter

I ended up harvesting my antlerless elk the other day one shot 30-06 at 150 yards. Well this has me looking at hunts and drawing odds, I mean I look at 3 hunts I want to go on but 36a-2,49, 50 or the pioneer zone has combined over 3000 people put in for 300 tags. So how is one to ever draw a tag? I also was looking at 48 but I was wondering if anyone has been in there since the big fire and how numbers have been affected? thanks my rant is over

Bottom line, go OTC just like the rest of us! (grin) Plenty of elk in all units, you just need to get out there & cover ground, find elevated spots on rifle hunts & glass, glass, glass!

ElkNut1

Well yeah Otc is decent still but I'm just saying IDFG needs to do something about opportunity whether one branch bull draw tag every 3-5 years or a point system

Neither of those things are going to increase the number of ch tags available. Just keep learning how to hunt the wonderful otc opportunities we have and feel lucky you live somewhere where you have a legit chance at a branch bull every year.

Don't hold your breath JW, I've lived & elk hunted here over 30 years & have yet to draw an elk tag! I've drawn one Mule Deer tag in all those years! These days I still apply for draws but now I've come to know the elk country so well I really don't care if I draw or not! (grin)

ElkNut1

Did you at least make good on that one Idaho deer tag you drew Paul?? I bet you didn't even break 206" with it... :)

It's just frustrating that we can't have a better system that works for us... I mean you shouldn't be able to put in 30 years and not draw a tag let alone multiple tags

How does Jason Carter of Ridge Reaper keep drawing LE late season deer tags in Idaho? Has been at least 2 years in a row now. As far as I know you can't just buy a landowner tag in Idaho like you can in many other states, so he must be drawing them but what are the odds of that?

Last edited:
I mean I will archery hunt those units if I don't draw rifle but I prefer to rifle hunt just because it extends my range on Bulls that won't come in during archery

It's just frustrating that we can't have a better system that works for us... I mean you shouldn't be able to put in 30 years and not draw a tag let alone multiple tags

And how do point systems work for those that are late to the party? You have alays have a chance to draw in Idaho, in fact I think they have one of the most balanced systems by forcing folks to determine the species they want, thus diluting the pool and giving you a chance. Specifically, I drew a moose tag this year on my first time entering. I wasn't at the bottom of the pyramid scheme...err "point system", I just chose to put in for moose instead of elk, deer, bighorn, goat and moose.

Oh, and saw a lot of elk in that OTC unit too.

You may search Idaho point in these forums and do some reading i think you will see that our system is as fair to everyone as it can get

How does Jason Carter of Ridge Reaper keep drawing LE late season deer tags in Idaho? Has been at least 2 years in a row now. As far as I know you can't just buy a landowner tag in Idaho like you can in many other states, so he must be drawing them but what are the odds of that?

It's illegal to sell crack in Idaho also thats why nobody does it.

Well I'm aware that it is equal well when I know a family that draws a hunt with 50 tags and 1000 people put in for , 3 times in 6 years that's not fair

No matter the draw system people will complain when not drawing tags. There are just too many people applying for the number of tags and there isn't a draw system that will fix that.

There was a discussion thread a while back of Idaho F&G asking people to potentially change the draw system and a majority of Idaho residents are against it.

The two best systems are the Lottery and the Bonus Point Squared with the math that was used on that thread. Neither one would be a good fix for 300 people applying for 5 tags.

Your best bet is to keep applying and hoping that you will get lucky or look at another unit with better draw odds and put in for that one.

"over 3000 people put in for 300 tags." - and yet there are people out there saying there aren't enough hunters and that we need to recruit more of them.

If you can't hook up a bull with an OTC tag in Idaho, it reflects purely on your skill as a hunter, and not on how IDF&G manages things. Granted, Idaho is not the easy pickings like your going to get hunting elk in Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, etc., but it is possible with the appropriate effort.

That's funny your dissing my skills when I literally just harvested an animal this year... I simply am saying there has to be a better way

That's funny your dissing my skills when I literally just harvested an animal this year... I simply am saying there has to be a better way

How many years have you been hunting, and how many elk have you harvested?

Part of the game is playing the numbers and finding the undersubscribed units. Just like buying stock in the stock market, find the good value (hint avoid the hype). How do you think Randy goes on several hunts a year?

Well I'm aware that it is equal well when I know a family that draws a hunt with 50 tags and 1000 people put in for , 3 times in 6 years that's not fair
If this bothers you, you could attend a meeting and ask for longer waiting periods for successful applicants. This is one of the better ways to improve fairness.
P.s I'm like 13 for 14 on elk in Idaho including this year almost all otc and most archery bulls. I still don't think I'm a very good hunter and if we hunted together I'd be trying to learn from you. What I'm saying is congratulations but keep your eyes open there's so much more to learn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back