Idaho Elk Middle Fork 27 B?

Sierra_Dave

I am going back to Idaho for Elk in Unit 27 of the Middle Fork again. I am looking at the area around Woodstick creek, but I am open to other suggestions. I have flown into the Frank before. I don't have a line on pack horses/mules so this would be on foot. I have a back country hunted for a long time, so I know my way around.

If you interested in the same Unit, let me know.
Thanks, Dave

I may have hunted there once,I'll try and find my map and find the creek your talking about.That was about 5 years ago.What time of year will you be there?

Found my map and looks like the same area.We set up camp by woodtick summit.That is some beautiful country.It was my maiden elk hunt.

Hey Cornfed,

Did you drive in thru Challis Nat'l Forrest on Silver Creek Road to Camus Creek Rd. and then hike in from there?

Just curious about the trip to the takeoff point and the number of folks that use that route.

I know there is a ranch back on Camus Creek Rd. with an outfit that guides hunts.
Thanks,
Dave

Hunted that area lots, wood tick looks good but holds few elk. Fly into bernard USFS walk 1 mile up river cross the bridge at the Flying B try appraow point Let us know how you do

Woodtick is best from camas creek about 12 miles down from the trailhead. good trail or about 4 miles up from the river

Idaho Middle Fork Hunting

Looking for hunting partner for Middle Fork Salmon, Unit 27. Need help with week days and longer camps. Been to Cold Meadows, Indian Cr. and Thomas Cr.

Me and my brother in law are going to Idaho for a rifle elk hunt. Ive just started doin research as to where to go. Im up for suggestions. We will be setting up a camp and walking in from there. This will be my first elk hunt.

Hey Idahoshoer -

Sorry I didn't get your message until now. Yes I went all over the middlefork.

First, do you know of anyone who rents horses or mules in Idaho? i would be looking for 2-4 delivered to the trailhead.

Second, Me & 2 other hunters went first into Indian Creek area outside of Yellow Pine. Hiked in a couple of miles and then had to hike out because one of them had a family emergency.
Not Elk weather 90 degrees at 8500 feet. There as all kinds of sign as you dropped down from the ridge about 1500 feet from summit. We ran into F&G wardens who said that before the season openned a herd was using that area. All the sign was 2 weeks old.
Went in from Stanley next [ lots of driving] and went up for 4 days through trails. No one had taken any Elk in the area and there was NO sign.
Went back to Big Creek and near the summit as you drop in, saw fresh bull sign. But the next day on the trails saw new wolf tracks. Wolfs shadow the herds from above and I did not hear any bugling. A fire started nearby and in the mornings the valley filled up with smoke. I went back to Papoose peak area. fresh sign crossing the ridge into Unit 25. I stayed until next to last day, but a small fire below started pushing so much smoke that you could glass at all. Lots of hiking and driving.
On the way out on the last day of first 1/2 of season, passing into 25 saw a 5x5 with a small harem of cows...moving as quiet as church mice. No satellite bulls.
I grew up around cattle and I know if you press cows, they will not come into season...I suspect that is what is happening from the wolves following the herds. The fire-trails and ridge roads give wolves a perfect path to track Elk from above.

Just saw the Lolo Elk survey numbers and that is what I have seen in 3 seasons in Idaho Middlefork and Boise units.

I have hunted Idaho 3 times now, got one rag horn bull, but there is less bugling every year. This year not one call. I didn't see any dead Elk in the Middlefork and didn't meet anyone who filled their tag.

Well, I will put in here in California for Tule Elk again and for New Mexico. Snowball in hell chance of draw. I may go back to Montana again...started Elk hunting there in '78. Maybe Idaho.
I hope you had better luck.
Dave

Dad and I each shot a cow in the MF this fall. We saw elk almost daily but the herds were pressured hard by the wolves and other hunters. We didn't see a bull until day 7. I love the MF but I'll elk hunt elsewhere.

Has anyone hunted out of the Upper Loon airstrip? A friend and I are looking at that area or possibly the Bighorn Crags area for elk this fall. Anyone hunt either?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back