Idaho Elk Hunting

RHuber17

As an Idaho hunter of all species what do you all think is the greatest pressure to elk/deer. Hunting pressure or predators? Reading forums and article's etc. It seems that the hunting is going downhill.

I can't dispute JLS but in reference to the OP I would put Human Pressure > Predator Pressure. Human being both hunters and recreationalists.

I can't help but think that like so many other western states the human popularity of getting out into front and backcountry isnt going to have an impact on wildlife. I love to see it, especially those that are engaged but the mere presence has an effect. You add to that how efficient we are as a species to adapt and evolve in all aspects not just hunting methods but also building and sprawling into further and further areas will impact species. I think the later on big game who in many western states I see the impact to historical migration and wintering range which is now freeways and more and more homes pushing them a little further up during vulnerable times. Add to that a decrease in successional habitat for browse and increased predators of all forms and we will see populations decrease.

Habitat, and winter range has to be mentioned. There has been a few bad winters that really killed a lot of deer where I hunt. Hunters and predators take out a percent every year that’s manageable but on a bad snow year that wipes out your fawn crop and let’s say 60% of your deer that’s what make the numbers struggle for a lot of years to come.

Digging into this old thread. I picked up hunting 4 years ago here in the Boise/Mountain Home areas. 4 years ago, we were blessed with a pile of critters during our first few hunts. The massive snow that winter had to have had a huge impact on the critters. Then, every year since, we hear of the road hunters just pounding the little spikes and forks. That really has to impact our numbers this year and the next.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back