Idaho Deer Tag Question

Kiwi

My 2020 hunt planning is well underway and I am looking at applying for a controlled archery mule deer tag in Idaho.

Are non residents able to apply / purchase a doe tag as a second tag? I plan to be hunting in Sept so I guess it needs to be an archery tag. I’ve read the Idaho Fish and Game site but can’t figure it out.

If anyone needs New Zealand hunting or vacation advise, just ask.

Typically, Idaho doesn't have OTC doe tags, and the bag limit per year is one deer unless you have an "X" tag. Youth hunters are the only ones who can shoot a doe on a general deer tag. There are "X" hunts which give extra tags (so one can hold two deer tags) but they are limited by unit, and are typically very regulated (short range weapons only, private land only, only certain parts of units, etc...). You also need to apply for these Extra hunts just like a standard draw hunt.

Thanks for the comments. Useful info! I’m still learning the intricacies of the ID draw. I’ve applied for Mountian Goat previously but not deer and bear.

B Moore is on it.

Our anterless opportunity can be a little tough, unless you commit to it with a 1st choice app or draw an “extra“ tag.

You can shoot either sex with a bow in most of the state.

Or apply for horns for deer, anterless for antelope and elk and extra anterless for deer/elk/lopes if you really want some meat.

Kiwi-
If your draw opportunity doesn't pan out, I'm happy to steer you towards some really good OTC opportunities in North Idaho.
Thanks Morley! I’m liking ID more and more as I get into my hunt planning. Hard to look past return trips to WY and MT but exciting to explore a new state to hunt.

Last edited:
I bought an Idaho tag last year, and ended up having to cancel our rifle hunt because my wife got sick and had to spend time in the hospital. Still was able to make a pate season archery hunt, it was hard and a ton of fun. Even if you don’t draw a Limited Entry you can still find opportunity. I ended up shooting a doe the last night at 54 yards. Looking forward to going again in 2021, pm if you want details. We did a 32 mile hike scouting in August, worth the trip!

I understand that ID wolf & lion tags are OTC and are not unit specific and can be used in a number of units. Is this correct? I cant see it confirmed on the ID Fish and Game. Thanks.

I understand that ID wolf & lion tags are OTC and are not unit specific and can be used in a number of units. Is this correct? I cant see it confirmed on the ID Fish and Game. Thanks.
Yes. Buy a wolf tag, just in case. They’re cheap. You can shoot a lion, wolf or bear with your NR deer tag. Chances of seeing a lion or bear are slight at best.

Out of interest, can non-residents draw from the second draw in Idaho. I've searched the internet for an answer with no luck and the draw odds on the Idaho hunter planner show no NR drawing.

Out of interest, can non-residents draw from the second draw in Idaho. I've searched the internet for an answer with no luck and the draw odds on the Idaho hunter planner show no NR drawing.
Yes. It’s one pool (R and NR) so IDFG may not differentiate between the two categories.

Odds are poor but you never know! We’ve pulled a few second draw tags.

Attachments

• 481E6A2E-E971-4EC3-9608-604877C31E09.jpeg
    481E6A2E-E971-4EC3-9608-604877C31E09.jpeg
    720.2 KB · Views: 5
Yes. It’s one pool (R and NR) so IDFG may not differentiate between the two categories.

Odds are poor but you never know! We’ve pulled a few second draw tags.

Brymoore, isn't the only restriction for NR's on the second draw the 10% NR cap, hence the lower possibility for a NR to draw in the second chance?

That would make sense.

Seems something is pushing the NR odds down in the second draw as I couldnt see that a NR won a tag last years results. In WY the odds are the same for resident and NR but it doesn’t appear that way in ID.

Brymoore, isn't the only restriction for NR's on the second draw the 10% NR cap, hence the lower possibility for a NR to draw in the second chance?

From Page 110 of the Big Game Regulations:

Leftover Controlled Hunts Second drawings: To ensure everyone has equal opportunity at leftover and unclaimed controlled hunt tags from the first drawing, there will be a second application period from August 5 through Midnight Mountain Time August 15. The drawing for these tags will occur around August 22. Any tags not drawn in the second drawing will be sold firstcome, first-served August 26, 2019 at 10 a.m. Mountain Time. The 10 percent nonresident quota and the waiting period restrictions do not apply in the second drawing or leftover sales.

Last edited:
That is good news, thanks. I must have seen a lot of unlucky NRS in the results I looked at.

Back