Idaho cow elk controlled tag?

mxracer317

I'm going to apply for elk in the Idaho NR "indy 500" race application period.

This upcoming season I want to hunt cow elk, but it all says "controlled" for cows when I look at anterless elk on GoHunt filtering.

Do I need to buy a bull tag that switches to cow if I don't harvest a bull? I'm kinda confused on how to get a cow only tag in Idaho?

Idaho has several ways to get a tag.

Today at 10 am MST non-res tags go on sale.

Most Capped tag zones need to be bought today.

The big draw is due early June.

Idaho has several ways to get a tag.

Today at 10 am MST non-res tags go on sale.

Most Capped tag zones need to be bought today.

The big draw is due early June.
Thank you. I was planning on jumping online today. The thing that was confusing to me that’s how the controlled elk cow tag works, should I get a elk “A” tag that starts with a bull and then switches over to a later any weapon cow. wasn’t sure if I can get the a tag with a cow and then later get a different controlled unit for a cow. Seems like I’m double dipping with two cow opportunities. Hopefully that makes sense?

Buy the tag you want today - you can then put in for the draw in June and exchange it if you get drawn.

You can't double dip until Aug 1st when you can buy a 2nd tag if the non-res quota isn't sold out.
I am a NR and my understanding was the second tag was only for residents?

Last edited:
Generally speaking the A tags are designed for archery hunting bull elk in the month of September and then transition to cow elk in October. And B tags are designed more for rifle hunting bull elk in October.

If you buy an otc tag, A or B, you can still apply for a controlled elk hunt between in May-June 5th. If you draw your controlled hunt, you can then exchange you A or B otc tag for your controlled hunt tag.

Depending on what zone an A or B tag is good for a cow within 1 mile of ag fields. It all come down on where you are looking to hunt.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back