Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho Bull --Finally

Much2hunt

Great hunt, Good bull, Awesome horses.All DIY
Anyone looking to buy a spike tent,I found a awesome tent company.It worked perfectly,I had the stove jack placed in the back to allow a cot to fit on each side
Range tent 8 X 8.5 X104 inches tall, wt-app 26lbs..about 300:00 bucks(Hoggan's Custom leather and canvas. Rupert Idaho

Last edited:
Give us some details on the hunt. Was it a special draw? Was he bugling? Just looking for a good read. Congrats on a great hunt

I'm alot more comfortable on the back of a horse than trying to type...
This was a limted draw hunt,i killed him on 10/24, As you can see from the first pic ,I travel light and fast,Spike tent ,wood stove ,canned camp fare. I chased two different Bulls for 8 1/2 days.I moved my spike camp probably a total of 4 miles.
I was packed in about 12 miles, a buddy was with me for part of the hunt. Weather in Idaho in Oct was fantastic,early snow, then mild temps. I do a lot of riding in this area hauling in bear bait in the spring and pleasure ridin all summer. I had to really work hard thanks to the wolves and the elk being pushed around alot.
I really liked this Bull,I glassed him several times,But he hung with over 100 head in his herd,which made him tough to hunt.I blew him out of the area more than once. He hangs at the base of a really tough mtn,the wind is always in his favor and a ton of eyes watch everything.I found a way to ride my horse around the back side and came in at a angle, I hiked another mile andI beat the herd to their bedding area by about 200yrds. Cows everywhere, six different bulls bugling ,one big old five point was just throwin a fit, obviousluy my bull had kicked his heiny and he was a poutin!!
I tucked in under two eight foot pine trees and had elk feeding or bedded at 40 yrds.I figured the gig was up and they would wind me and blow out again,I never could see or hear the herd bull for over a hour.Then I heard a growl and knew it was him.I peaked between the branches of my hideout and there he was at 50 yrds.. Wow , I snaked my old 06 between the branches and let him have it.The whole place blew up.He stayed with the herd for about 200yrds then offered a second shot ,I punched him again on a dead run and dumped him by the big rock .A second shot wasn't needed he was dead on his feet. I have learned one thing, I am getting to dang old to handle these big old boys by myself. The butchering was tough ,I could not even roll him over with a rope and my horse.The packing out was real easy thanks to my excellent mtn horses. He was a pretty old bull and real heavy, goin on the wall of course..

Last edited:
My hunting partner killed his first branch antlered bull early on in the hunt, Check out the size of his mule !! In those pannairds is a whole boned out bull,plus we threw on half the spike camp to pack out in one trip. I am guessing she had close to 350 lbs on her which he says she handles all the time.She never missed a beat on the way out..Great stock can make all the difference in the world..

"The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse"

M2h

Last edited:
You "Flatlander" they are for protection on the ride out.
Oh I get it, when a griz comes to get you on the ride out, it has to eat its way through your chaps first....gives you a chance to give it the lead to the head treatment. Or is there a naughty pack horse that you have tied to your saddle horn and the chaps offer you protection from the lead rope? What ever the case is, I better get me some of those if it means you can kill big elk like that. Does mystery ranch make any chaps?

Thanks for the additional picts and story! What a great hunt. That sure looks like the Lemhi Co. country I grew up in.
That mule must have some Mammoth Jack in her?

Nectar Even in the old days they practiced protection.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back