Idaho Bill HO536 - Changing Trespass Law

Geez, some of these legislators really aggravate me. Sportsman involvement likely helped to kill 536 so Boyle decides to give a big F.U. to us and write a bill that's even worse? The pettiness of some people just astounds me.

Yeah really interesting, have read and heard that supporting 536 became a toxic position in the legislature so they bring out what could be an even worse bill? Huh? I've already wrote my rep and expect to hear nothing back as she never responded to my emails or phone calls on 536...

Every year at this time I'm astounded at the amount and zaniness of bills introduced, my common thought is always wondering if things are really that bad and need this much tinkering with.

NEVER hear back from any of my local reps on these types of issues. Got into it via email with some crazy reps in E/SE ID over auction tags a while ago- guess running unopposed for years makes people think they are God's gift to the commoners...One told me the legislature was more than qualified to set wildlife policies and that the ONLY thing Fish and Game was supposed to do was enforce those game management/tag level policies- guess being a sheep rancher and a CPA makes them qualified...

NEVER hear back from any of my local reps on these types of issues. Got into it via email with some crazy reps in E/SE ID over auction tags a while ago- guess running unopposed for years makes people think they are God's gift to the commoners...One told me the legislature was more than qualified to set wildlife policies and that the ONLY thing Fish and Game was supposed to do was enforce those game management/tag level policies- guess being a sheep rancher and a CPA makes them qualified...

This sounds like Siddoway.

We’ve gone from a bad bill no one would support to a worst bill, that is the same as the previous bill but now sportsman get to pay for it.

Idaho needs to drain the swamp in epic portion.

If you were on the fence about the previous bill you should definitely be against this one. Everybody needs to send out emails, letters, phone calls whatever it will take to shut this down.

It feels like they may have actually gained support in the house by adding some of the crazy things that certain rep's were asking for. One of those "If this bill included (blank) I could get behind it" type situations.
I guess the first draft wasn't crazy enough.

You would think it would be easy enough to catch trespassers by riding your property line via broom stick.
Casting a no harvest spell on anyone you catch should be punishment enough.

Even though the new bill is out of committee those of us in the Pocatello area need to thank Rep Armstrong for voting against it there.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article203848134.html

“The bill here two weeks ago was so flawed,” said Rep. Randy Armstrong, R-Inkom — and the new proposal also had problems. He called for more vetting and refining to ensure the bill is fair and understandable to both landowners and recreationists. “The thing that chilled me the most out of all the testimony” Tuesday, he said, was the idea that lawmakers can just pass the measure now and fix it in 2019.

Here's an article on the bill passing the House. http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/bois...ssing-bill-after-contentious-two-hour-debate/

Rep. Christy Perry, R-Nampa, said a lobbyist for a Texas family that recently purchased large amounts of land in Valley County and closed much of it to hunting and public access, leading to well-publicized clashes with locals, approached her last summer about beefing up trespassing laws.

No surprise there.

Also at http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article204633849.html

The Statesman also provides a copy of the opinion from the Idaho Attorney General's office: http://legacy.idahostatesman.com/TrespassAGMarch8Rubel.pdf It points out several conflicts and potential conflicts, and ends with "The overlap between the proposed amendments to various trespass statutes and pending self-defense bills adopting stand your ground/castle doctrine language would likely increase the risk of serious injury or death to otherwise innocent trespassers."

I guess it's time to write more letters and make a phone call to the Senate now. I fully support private property rights and trespassing penalties commensurate with damages, but this bill leaves us commoners with no protection against unethical landowners.

To me as a new resident here in the state it is looking like onx maps is a cheap investment. Just need to have the tracking on when you are close to any lines so you can prove where you were. The one thing I feel is a little BS is that the property can sue you and if he win you have to pay his court cost and you can't do the same when you win. When hunting in checker board areas this could make it harder if you have some land owners that feel like they own the state lands as well or think that they think they get a buffer zone around their land

Little chance this doesn't go to a vote in the senate asap as the Resources and Environment committed is chaired by Steve Bair and Jeff Siddoway both on 6th terms...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back