Idaho A tag cow hunt

bjochem

My buddy and I were out in the Lemhi zone in September and got our butts kicked with our bows. We have now been thinking about coming back to try filling our tag on a cow. Anyone have experience with this? I believe we have to be within a mile of irrigated fields. Is there a list of ranchers that have damage issues or would a call to game and fish get the information I need. Thanks to any willing to share. Trying to decide if its worth the 20 hour drive. We only have a week to hunt so we would need to have a pretty solid plan to warrant the drive on both ends of a week.

The fish and game have folks the deal with this issue and interact with land owners and hunters so it is well worth the call
I used to know one guys name but cant remember it now

Lady wasn't overly helpful. Anyone passing through this post, can you at least confirm if its possible to find elk accessible without a trespass fee? I see no snow in the salmon/may/leadore area which doesn't make me believe wlk will be real accessible "within 1 mile of irrigated agriculture ". Anyone with some guidance is greatly appreciated.

Yes you can find elk with out paying a tresspass fee , Their are many elk the head up into timber to bed and down to AG fields every day or so and you can set up to intersept

Man my 33hr drive to go elk hunting is never gloomy
I dont like driving at all but love going west for a week or two

I typically agree. This time its a little different as we are severely limited on the country we can hunt. I would be all smiles if we could as far in as necessary to get away from other ppl. Thats my biggest concern, 100s of other ppl looking at the same land with the same intentions.

Has been super dry - We got no fall green up. Animals will looking for good feed - Alfalfa is often targeted - As you know it is high mountain desert around the ag fields. Bring spotting scopes.

Thanks for the tip Fowl Hunter. That is our plan. We marked a bunch of pivots that are fairly adjacent to some terrain. Plus we know where we saw elk in September in the mountains so we have a couple of reasonable guesses. My guess is this will be one end or the other of the spectrum. Either fairly easy or we could put on tons of miles and not see anything. Guess we will find out on starting Sunday

It wasn't Idaho, but I had good luck in Montana hunting near ag fields. Multiple times I have killed elk about 1 mile back, which appeared too far for many to walk.

Bring the muzzle loader. No need to be near ag fields. Seen many cows while muzzy deer hunting in Lemhi.

Well the elk were fairly easy to find just impossible to shoot. Either never left private or were too far from fields when they got on public. Never thought too far on public could be a real thing. Neat to see all the elk but not my 1st choice for an elk hunt, thats for sure.

Back