Idaho 76-3

H2OUUP2

Just got notified that I drew a Idaho bull moose tag. 12 years of putting in on unit 50 with no luck so I thought I'd try a unit with better odds. Now I'm just looking google earth over for access in the unit as I have never been there before. Have a few trips planned for some scouting and a couple of weeks in October for hunting. Any advice for that particular unit?

Idaho brain worm

So I have been scouring maps and imagery of the unit. Some decent access, but not a lot, good thing I don't mind hiking. IDFG biologist indicated brain worm has knocked a lot of the bigger bulls down in Eastern Idaho. Last year was only 50% success of the ten tag holders. Anyone ever see a moose affected by brain worm? Do they generally deteriorate and die off in the winter or die quickly?

Congrats on drawing the tag. 76-3 is a tough unit for moose. A friend and I had cow tags there a few years ago. I was very familiar with the area and we had trouble finding moose. We spent 4 days in the unit and saw 2 moose- a cow and calf that we could not pass up. Did see one set of bull moose tracks in the snow and that was it. Be prepared to put some miles on the boots. We found the cows and the bull track on the Southern end of the unit.

I have seen a few moose with brainworm in 76. It is not pretty. Generally they will walk in circles acting very confused there head may be tilted in one direction; may have sagged hind quarters. I know it takes all too long for them to pass it must be miserable.

feel free to pm me if you want any further info.

I have finally firmed up a trip to the unit for a few days around the 24th of July. My job keeps getting in the way. I hope to be posting a bunch of pictures. It has been so hot in Idaho the last few weeks that I am assuming the moose will be really tied to water, and they should have a good start on their antlers as well by the end of July.

The scouting trip went well. Located a few promising areas. Aspen stands right up in the conifers, some drainages with aspens and lots of willows. However, no moose were spotted. I am wondering if those were the spots I should have been looking at for a end of July scouting trip?

It is going to be a tough hunt. lots of hiking. One main road with some small spurs that end a few hundred yards into the trees. I did see some interesting potential by-catch for the planned trip in October though!

Getting ready to head over for a week of moose hunting. I guess someone shot a bull in the unit already. Congratulations to the unknown hunter I am sure it was a great hunt. Nine more bull tags left in the unit.

Attachments

• 56003a9f26425_image (1).jpg
    56003a9f26425_image (1).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 358
76-3

I wish I had seen this earlier. I could have helped out a lot.
In the past 5 years I have taken both a bull moose and a cow in that area.
Here is a read on the small bull.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=246825

Then in 2014, my brother and I drew cow tags in that same area. Dad went along again, and watched as we were both successful. Its a good area.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 218

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back