Idaho 39

Idahoarcheryhunter

Another dreaded unit 39 question, alright long story short my sister who has wanted to kill a deer for years and I've been a bad brother and putting her on the back burner so I could focus on my own hunting.. Well this year I decided to change that, I put her in on an early rifle tag for unit 39 the opener is August 15th, I despise this unit from past experiences a couple years ago and somewhat during the late archery hunt due to stupid people... (That's a different conversation.) anyways low and behold she drew the tag and couldn't be more excited about the chance to harvest her first big game animal my experience in the unit is pretty minimal a couple times during the late hunt, but that's a totally different conversation during November versus August. Mainly I hunted around the blacks creek area due to it being quick to get up there and maybe get a chance to score on a late buck. Anyways enough with the ramble 39 is a giant unit and my early season deer experience is minimal I've been up twice so far scouting and can not find even a small forky and with opener in about a month I'm a little stressed about finding a buck, just looking for a little advice, I've looked high I have looked low just not sure what I'm missing maybe it's the area I'm in (above arrow rock) plus side question she's a very small girl only about 5'2 and about 100 pounds so my 7 mag will defiantly not work for her, I have a ruger American predator in 223 that I think could possibly work just looking for everybody's two cents! Thanks a bunch guys and let me know if you have any questions about unit 35 or 36 for elk hunting I'd love to trade information for some help in 39 and coyote hunting I've got some pretty good hooks around the valley if anybody from here ever wants to get out and put some dawgs down thanks guys!

Although getting high can be fun I am not sure it is the best example to set for your little sister;) Seriously though unit 39 is loaded with deer, I would just hit up some of the steep nasty stuff and you should find bucks.

You did her no favors with a tough tag. Get high.

I wouldn't say "loaded" with deer, in my opinion. Others will differ. There are lots of deer, but it is a HUGE unit, I think the largest in the state. There are many areas where there are no deer, you will literally feel like your on the moon. Other areas you will see 50-100 a day.

I think it can be a difficult unit to learn. But at the same time, it's got something for everyone if you learn it over a few seasons and are in shape.

I would agree, i think loaded is probably an over statement. I am from Oregon so every unit in ID feels like it is loaded with deer to me. If Oregon had an early season hunt like this it would take 15 years or more to draw the tag. If i were a rifle hunter I think there are much better units than 39 you can hunt with a general tag. I do think that a person should easily be able to find a respectable buck in 39 though during an early season hunt before they shed there velvet and hit the timber and before they are pressured.

I wouldn't say "loaded" with deer, in my opinion. Others will differ. There are lots of deer, but it is a HUGE unit, I think the largest in the state. There are many areas where there are no deer, you will literally feel like your on the moon. Other areas you will see 50-100 a day.

I think it can be a difficult unit to learn. But at the same time, it's got something for everyone if you learn it over a few seasons and are in shape.

I've hunted the early 39 tag and live in the unit. The early hunt is tough. It's hot, 90-100 degrees August and early September. On my hunt, I some saw deer in August but they went nocturnal in September. I only saw deer driving or hiking in the dark. You get a half hour on each end of the day to hunt deer.

If I had the tag again, I'd get 8k feet high, and hunt hard in August. The deer population for the unit is good at this time which will help you.

You can PM me if you want more detail in where to look. I'll tell you all the places I didn't see deer on that hunt.

I've had that tag 3 times, it is a tough hunt. I passed up quite a few forkies and smaller 3pts, because I wanted to shoot a 4pt with that tag. I ate my tag 3 times and don't plan on ever putting in for it again. I have no spots I can tell you have a bunch deer at during this timeframe. If I were to have that tag now, I would hunt close to the border of the unit at the North end of 39. I noticed a lot of bucks on private down in the lower portions of 39 and know a guy who shot a very nice 3 pt off private down low. If your familiar with 35/36 I would look at those border areas that are up against 39. Good luck and I hope your sister gets her deer!

I've tagged along twice on the early velvet draw tag. Honestly, in my opinion, I'm not a fan of that hunt. Too hot, deer spread out and weak genetics. I'm not sure what the appeal is. I know many guys here in the valley live for it, I know which mountains they've killed their bucks on. Still not interested.

I think the Ruby's intrigue me more if you crave velvet.

BUT the late archery hunt is unparalleled for a general tag.

I've tagged along twice on the early velvet draw tag. Honestly, in my opinion, I'm not a fan of that hunt. Too hot, deer spread out and weak genetics. I'm not sure what the appeal is. I know many guys here in the valley live for it, I know which mountains they've killed their bucks on. Still not interested.

I think the Ruby's intrigue me more if you crave velvet.

BUT the late archery hunt is unparalleled for a general tag.
Yeah I'd defiantly agree that late archery hunt is a lot of fun but man I swear you find a decent buck up there and four of your best friends are also putting a stalk on it still a fun time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back