Caribou Gear Tarp

ID Unit 51 Late Rifle

Pagosa

I'm interested in applying for ID unit 51 rifle bull this coming year, and is the NR pooled together with the Residents until the 10 percent quota is reach? So in other woods I would be drawing against the entire application pool, not just the nonresident numbers? I tried reading through the application brochure from last year, can I only apply for either deer or elk in the controlled drawings? Same with sheep, moose, and/or goat I can only apply for one species? How have the wolfs impacted this unit compared to other elk zones? Looks like the kill percent has dropped 15 to 20 in the past couple years. Thanks

Yes, NR's are in the same pool as residents.You can apply for elk and deer. Must wait one year if you drew antlered last year in either, If you put in for one of the big three,you may not apply for elk or deer, yes the wolves are the same in 51

Last edited:
You can apply for all big game species deer elk and antelope or one trophy species moose or goat or sheep. I had a couple buddies that hunted the late cow front loader general tag. They didn't fill their tags, they said they saw elk but couldn't get to them. I have a suspicion that they put too much effort into drinking and not enough into hunting. 51 Has wolves but not as bad as some of the wilderness zones. I have a hunch that if we don't have a bunch of snow between now and spring survival rates will be up. If we can get a lot of rain in May and June like last year it may be a better season than we have seen in a long time. It's currently 35* and rainy at 6000 feet there is still a lot of feed available and without a couple of huge dumps (its very possible it could happen) we could have perfect winter range for a lot of animals. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
As for the draw pool Much2hunt is correct all the applications go into the pool. As they draw if they reach the 10% NR cap all other NR apps are removed from the pool. Using the 2011 data for that hunt 503 residents and 64 non residents applied for the 125 tags. 12 NR tags were drawn, even if they were the first 12 drawn all other NR applications would have been removed from the pool.

Back