I need to shoot a moose.

I did Alberta last fall. fare less than $8K and had a great time. drivable from most locations in the lower 48 which saves a lot. especially when brining meat and antlers back. Plenty of moose as well. If you set your mind to a min size and not be trigger happy, you can get a respectable bull.

I did Alberta last fall. fare less than $8K and had a great time. drivable from most locations in the lower 48 which saves a lot. especially when brining meat and antlers back. Plenty of moose as well. If you set your mind to a min size and not be trigger happy, you can get a respectable bull.

Would you be willing to share who you hunted with? I'm never going to draw a moose tag, so buying a hunt is on the very near horizon. PM if you'd prefer.

What binoculars would you recommend for this hunt? 8x32, 10x32, 10x50?

I have a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 scope.
Where I moose hunt, the majority of my time is spent glassing so the most comfortable to your eyes binocs.
Glass through a sea of spruce and willow, nothing.
Glass through a sea of spruce and willow, is that speck of white new?
All of sudden that speck of white disappears. . .a bull!

We went in 2018 with Renfro's out of Bethel, it was a great hunt, boring as hell, but we all managed to tag out on bulls. We were all rookies to hunting moose.

We went in 2018 with Renfro's out of Bethel, it was a great hunt, boring as hell, but we all managed to tag out on bulls. We were all rookies to hunting moose.

Did you go guided or unguided? What was boring? Just waiting for a moose to come to a call?

It was an unguided drop camp. Correct, I think we saw (4) moose in 12 days, we just each had an area we could see 150-200 yds and just called and waited, not much else to look at or see, I think other than moose, we played tag with a small black bear who wanted our meat but that was the only animals we saw the whole trip. Still it was fun and a great experience.

I'm buddies with a guide for them. They regularly kill 70+ inch moose out of Bethel. Sounds not boring to me.

Last edited:
It was an unguided drop camp. Correct, I think we saw (4) moose in 12 days, we just each had an area we could see 150-200 yds and just called and waited, not much else to look at or see, I think other than moose, we played tag with a small black bear who wanted our meat but that was the only animals we saw the whole trip. Still it was fun and a great experience.

I could understand that. i hunted 18 with PBA last year. Our spot had some topography so I could glass moose and use water/boat to get closer but a lot of the country we flew over looked featureless and brushy (but we saw a lot of moose from the plane). I imagine it’s a jingle when you’re on the ground in those kinds of places.

I know this is a older reincarnated thread but seems to have some new life. Here's me any my wife's budget from 2019 Newfoundland moose/bear hunt

$4300- Moose hunt
$1900- Bear hunt
$900- 2 round trip flights
$80- Off site airport parking
$125- Hotel stay in Gander
$220- Baggage/firearms fees
$50- Canadian gun permits
$550- Gratuity
$400- Butchering
$600- Meat shipping

--$9125 total trip cost--

I know this is a older reincarnated thread but seems to have some new life. Here's me any my wife's budget from 2019 Newfoundland moose/bear hunt

$4300- Moose hunt
$1900- Bear hunt
$900- 2 round trip flights
$80- Off site airport parking
$125- Hotel stay in Gander
$220- Baggage/firearms fees
$50- Canadian gun permits
$550- Gratuity
$400- Butchering
$600- Meat shipping

--$9125 total trip cost--
@JD13 would you mind sharing who the outfitter was? Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back