I drew Arizona antelope unit 3A, now what?

jeffpg

Hey fellas,

I hail from Mississippi but I get around out west quite a bit on big game hunts, etc. I have successfully DIY hunted goats on 3 different occasions over the past 8 years and have a decent idea of how to go about it, but I have zero information on the unit that I have drawn. I'm good to go with any camping & hunting gear and weaponry, etc. but I sort of need a good starting place with which to plan my hunt.

My tag is good for Oct 20 - Oct 11. Does anyone possibly have any information that can get me kickstarted?

I happen to have some excellent bowhunting for spring wild turkey and trophy Axis deer on 5000 acres in west Texas to offer if that is any encouragement to you to be of assistance.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

The good thing about Antelope is that it is road hunting friendly. Spend the summer pouring over maps and find pockets away from the road and high glassing spots. Arrive in the unit 3 days before and drive all the roads, and mark where you see bucks. More driving than Hiking. Find the irrigated hayfields and see where the pronghorn go in and out of them. Find the property lines.

I can honestly say I've had 3 antelope tags in my life and had shot opportunities on Day One each time in a unit I'd never seen before. I think Antelope is the most DIY, and family friendly species there is.

I don't have any info on the unit but I'm pretty sure that a couple days covering country there will give you as much info as anyone would divulge on an open forum. Don't doubt your ability since you have done this before.

My starting place, were in your shoes is to decide what town and Motel to stay at. Although looking at the unit, Private land access looks to be pretty important due to the checkerboard of public.....Sheesh.

20160902151049_Arizona_GMUs_3A_preview_0.jpg

Last edited:
You may find hunts are canceled with a restoration of points or tags are re-issued for 2021 and 2020 never takes place. Is early in the process for F&G and they have no more ability to see the future than any other team of professionals. Social distancing does slow the current outbreak of C19 which is what hospitals and medical staff need though what can happen is an echo outbreak amongst all those who avoided C19 in the first "shelter at home" period. The echo can be larger since is still no vaccine and perhaps well over 50% of the population is still vulnerable to catch C19.

My advice is to "scout" using Google Earth and asking on forums and searching Google as if will hunt this year and I hope you do since I also will have a tag or two soon. If hunts get postponed for a year, or two actually as C19 could be a three year endeavor for society, then you have notes ready as start driving to the unit.

I would recommend that you go to the Arizona Game and Fish website. Once there, go to the hunting link, then the where to hunt link and finally the 3A link, found under Region I. This will give you a quick overview of antelope hunting in 3A. Good luck, I am sure that you will do well!

Hey fellas,

I hail from Mississippi but I get around out west quite a bit on big game hunts, etc. I have successfully DIY hunted goats on 3 different occasions over the past 8 years and have a decent idea of how to go about it, but I have zero information on the unit that I have drawn. I'm good to go with any camping & hunting gear and weaponry, etc. but I sort of need a good starting place with which to plan my hunt.

My tag is good for Oct 20 - Oct 11. Does anyone possibly have any information that can get me kickstarted?

I happen to have some excellent bowhunting for spring wild turkey and trophy Axis deer on 5000 acres in west Texas to offer if that is any encouragement to you to be of assistance.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Man if I had info on that I'd be jumping right on it so I could come shoot a axis deer😂

The unit is fairly flat and there is antelope throughout the unit. Do arrive a couple days early to drive the roads on the map may or may not exist. Should be a fun, relaxing hunt.

Remember in Arizona, if private land is not posted you can hunt it. Some will say you should contact the land owner first but you will find that its not the same in az as it is in say Wyoming. If there is not a house on it good luck finding the person. It's not ranches like you think. And I can't think of one hayfield.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back