Caribou Gear

“I don’t like game meat”

Its called science...there isn't blood in muscle tissue, its myoglobin.

Google it.

There is blood in every capillary. Where do you think those are?

Capillaries may not be “muscle tissue”, but they are contained within every piece piece of meat that you would call a roast, a steak, a joint, or anything you would grind. There is a reason they bleed animals when they slaughter them.

Animals are bled to use the byproduct most efficiently. It’s also to meet humane slaughter practice requirements.

Here is a good read for those who hold onto dogma.

Another reference.

Exsanguination of animals at slaughter and the residual blood content of meat.
Warriss PD. Vet Rec. 1984.

Authors
Warriss PD.
Citation
Vet Rec. 1984 Sep 22;115(12):292-5.
Abstract
About 40 to 60 per cent of the total blood volume is lost at exsanguination. The loss can be influenced slightly by differences in traditional slaughter techniques and is considerably reduced after cardiac arrest in sheep and cattle. Blood not lost at sticking is probably largely retained in the viscera rather than the carcase. The residual blood content of lean meat is 2 to 9 ml/kg muscle. There is no evidence that this amount is affected by different slaughter methods or that large amounts of residual blood influence the microbiology of meat.
PMID
6495586 [Indexed for MEDLINE]

Comparing commercial practices to hunting is silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Animals are bled to use the byproduct most efficiently. It’s also to meet humane slaughter practice requirements.

Here is a good read for those who hold onto dogma.

Another reference.

Comparing commercial practices to hunting is silly.

The underlined portion said that the amount of residual blood was unrelated to method of slaughter. It did not say that it was unrelated to being bled or not. It would be nice if it had explicitly stated if some methods of slaughter did not include exsanguination.

I have some deer that leave a lot more blood in the package when thawing than others. Those always have a gamier taste IF I let them sit in that vacuum package in the fridge to thaw/get used. If I remove them from the vacuum package, pour off the blood once and put them in a wet brine they taste like all the other deer.

A friend of mine introduced me to one of his friends and we were talking hunting. He got to talking about how bad whitetails tasted and great axis was, and mentioned that he shot everything in the head. I told him to shoot them in the lungs and they’d taste better. The next year Jeremy told me that his friend thought I was full of it, but tried a lung shot on whitetail just for kicks, and he’s convinced that it tasted noticeably better.

I don’t know what to tell you. That’s my experience. Maybe it has nothing to with blood. Every wild animal is different. I’ll go along with that for sure.

I have always like wild game meat, but my wife hasn't always been a huge fan.

Buying and using a sous vide for cooking our wild game has nearly completely changed her perspective. We can consistently get it cooked to be tender and to the correct temperature, almost zero over coooking and noticeably more tender.

Back