I can't figure out What week to take off for my unit 42 november dear hunt

Elkmagnet

So my wife and I were lucky enough to draw Idaho unit 42 buck tags The season runs from november first through the 24th And I cannot decide what week to take off. I am very interested in hearing the opinion of anyone who has hunted down there before. I am seriously considering the first week or the last week of the season. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! The factors that matter to me are number 1 the amount and quality of deer #2 I want some weather #3 I would rather go when there are less hunters in the field. I think I already know what everyone is going to tell me I would just like to hear some other opinions on the matter thank you to everyone who replies and feel free to pm me if you are uncomfortable posting.

Thanks again. Justin

I saw a number of nice bucks out there antelope hunting including a nice none typical. I'v never been out there in november though. The deer are pretty spread out this time of year.

I've spent 8 days during the early archery hunt and will be back this weekend. I've yet to be successful, but its not for the lack of bucks. I've seen 4 bucks that I would have taken with your tag. I wouldn't worry about the number of hunters since there are only 75 tags and unit 42 is pretty big.

Wow guys thanks for the quick responses. If you had to choose 1 week to hunt Which week would it be? And you can always pm me with the g p s locations Where you guys left Those bucks tied to a tree

+1 Last year it was in the mid 70's during the first week of those 40,41,42 hunts. I would also wait for some weather and some rut activity.

It’s tough to say in 42. I have a late deer tag this year as well, and due to work I will have 3 hunting days a week each week, not ideal but figure I won’t feel the pressure to pull the trigger so early. The biggest deer I've seen in 42 was walking right out in the sage on mud flat //antelope ridge rd, crossing from 40 into 42, middle of the day Nov 12th. Happy Hunting!

-Ed

Hey highcountry ditto on the mud flat road sitting Good luck on your hunt hope to see a big Buck pic and story in late Nov.
It’s tough to say in 42. I have a late deer tag this year as well, and due to work I will have 3 hunting days a week each week, not ideal but figure I won’t feel the pressure to pull the trigger so early. The biggest deer I've seen in 42 was walking right out in the sage on mud flat //antelope ridge rd, crossing from 40 into 42, middle of the day Nov 12th. Happy Hunting!

-Ed

Ok First of all thanks to everyone who threw in their 2 cents. I finally decided on the week Of the 13th Through the 20th. Those spikes better keep their ears pined together on the 20th because my freezer is empty.

Magnet,
Weather can really impair your ability to get around out there. Mud or snow can keep you out of much of the unit. When snow sets in on South Mtn etc the critters start migrating south across Mud Flat and into 42. I'd be out there earlier than the 13th. My 2 cents.
WD

Wallydog-Thank you for your input but the vacation time has been approved and there is no going back. I guess only time will tell if it was the right decision

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back