Hunting with a suppressed rifle?

I’ve only had the banish 30 but am looking at the backcountry just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
Looks like the backcountry isn’t user serviceable, I’m thinking that since 1. It’s going on my big game rifle so round count will be low and 2. I shot copper bullets with that gun, this really isn’t an issue?

The length and weight seem to be pretty great compared to other offerings.

Looks like the backcountry isn’t user serviceable, I’m thinking that since 1. It’s going on my big game rifle so round count will be low and 2. I shot copper bullets with that gun, this really isn’t an issue?

The length and weight seem to be pretty great compared to other offerings.

Lots of suppressors aren’t user serviceable so I don’t think it would be an issue

Interesting thread. Supressor might be nice for the range but not essential. I can double up on hearing protection no problem. Never anyone at my rifle range to talk to so communication is not an issue. I am definitely not recoil sensitive. I shoot upwards of 3K twelve gauge rounds at the range every year plus lots of shooting in the field. I can't imagine a small woman dealing with that kind of rifle length in the field. Yes, I have had field experience with suppressors in Africa. My PH's 270 WSM was like shooting a cap gun. But I preferred my Springfield -06, just not for shooting 400+ yards. I can't see how one is much of an improvement in the field. Fast follow up shots should not be an issue unless the animal is dangerous game. First shot SHOULD be the killer. And the noise? One and done per year won't be a long term deal breaker for hearing loss. I have shot .243 and yeah they make noise but as rifles go they're not a significant boomer. Also not a kicking machine by any means. Has the OP taken his lady to the range and let her try that gun as is with good hearing protection? Again, if one is shooting hundreds of rounds per sitting at the range through a good sized rifle, adding a suppressor would be ideal. For shooting a deer a year with a .243 is it really necessary?

Interesting thread. Supressor might be nice for the range but not essential. I can double up on hearing protection no problem. Never anyone at my rifle range to talk to so communication is not an issue. I am definitely not recoil sensitive. I shoot upwards of 3K twelve gauge rounds at the range every year plus lots of shooting in the field. I can't imagine a small woman dealing with that kind of rifle length in the field. Yes, I have had field experience with suppressors in Africa. My PH's 270 WSM was like shooting a cap gun. But I preferred my Springfield -06, just not for shooting 400+ yards. I can't see how one is much of an improvement in the field. Fast follow up shots should not be an issue unless the animal is dangerous game. First shot SHOULD be the killer. And the noise? One and done per year won't be a long term deal breaker for hearing loss. I have shot .243 and yeah they make noise but as rifles go they're not a significant boomer. Also not a kicking machine by any means. Has the OP taken his lady to the range and let her try that gun as is with good hearing protection? Again, if one is shooting hundreds of rounds per sitting at the range through a good sized rifle, adding a suppressor would be ideal. For shooting a deer a year with a .243 is it really necessary?
91fc31a2-63ff-4142-abfe-bc99be7e679c_text.gif

One and done per year won't be a long term deal breaker for hearing loss.
You can do a lot of damage pretty quickly unfortunately, one good muzzle blast without ears is all it takes.

I've been interested in jumping into the suppressor game for a while, but cost and laws have been the main issues for me. I've never had an issue with recoil either.

For me the noise reduction is a big factor, for me, for anyone I'm hunting with (I've both accidently muzzle blasted friends and they've done the same to me... it happens) and potentially not spooking game as much for a follow up.

My rifle came with a brake and I appreciate that with the brake on I could keep the target in the scope the entire time. Definitely wasn't possible for me without the brake. With a suppressor my .300wm will still be 2.5lb lighter than my .264wm, hopefully will be around 139db or less at my ear, and will be legal to hunt anything in NA. It's a good one gun for everything solution.

Knowing what I know now, I think with kiddos I will get light a 6.5CM with a short barrel and a real long suppressor. No muzzle blast, hearing safe, and allows them to have a rifle they can comfortably tote around in the woods.

YMMV.

Last edited:
You can do a lot of damage pretty quickly unfortunately, one good muzzle blast without ears is all it takes.

I've been interested in jumping into the suppressor game for a while, but cost and laws have been the main issues for me. I've never had an issue with recoil either.

For me the noise reduction is a big factor, for me, for anyone I've hunting with (I've both accidently muzzle blasted friends and they've done the same to me... it happens) and potentially not spooking game as much for a follow up.

My rifle came with a brake and I appreciate that with the brake on I could keep the target in the scope the entire time. Definitely wasn't possible for me without the brake. With a suppressor my .300wm will still be 2.5lb lighter than my .264wm, hopefully will be around 139db or less at my ear, and will be legal to hunt anything in NA. It's a good one gun for everything solution.

Knowing what I know now, I think with kiddos I will get light a 6.5CM with a short barrel and a real long suppressor. No muzzle blast, hearing safe, and allows them to have a rifle they can comfortably tote around in the woods.

YMMV.
You're right. Anyone whose spent any amount of time sitting in a duck blind with other guys knows about accidental muzzle blast. I generally hunt alone. This fella will be hunting with his beginner wife, right beside her probably. Muzzle blast might be a concern for him. But both SHOULD be behind the gun which should mitigate considerably. Most PHs in South Africa have gone to suppressors on loner rifles mostly for this reason. They have to stand next to clients shooting guns every day. The exceptions are the dangerous game loner guns. No suppressors because they make those guns too unwieldy in combat situations. That's the reason they gave me anyway. So, for OP's sake, I suppose there is some merit in adding a suppressor. I hope the benefit is not outweighed by the unwieldy factor. Or perhaps he will be the gun bearer? Probably.

Last edited:
Then don’t buy one. Nobody cares that you don’t want one and don’t think they’re necessary. They are an excellent tool for new or inexperienced shooters. I would have loved one on my 243 as a kid and it would have prevented some bad habits.

I have 75% hearing loss in my left ear because a guy blasted off two burst from a MK18 a few feet from my head and my right ear is about 50% gone just from shooting and other loud noises.

I try to hunt 100% suppressed now or have ear pro on or handy. I build rifles around the suppressor. No way I’m shooting my braked 7 mag without ear pro on. I can hardly hear my wife and other people talk, I need to save what’s left of my hearing.

I like guns and freedom though too.

I understand how one shot can cost you hearing wise, but I generally use my suppressor for the range. My 300wsm is never suppressed in the field. But that being said, I wear those rigid ear plugs around my neck and try my best to throw them on. I do however hunt with an AR 308 suppressed and it is great, especially with the kids.

I have 75% hearing loss in my left ear because a guy blasted off two burst from a MK18 a few feet from my head and my right ear is about 50% gone just from shooting and other loud noises.

I try to hunt 100% suppressed now or have ear pro on or handy. I build rifles around the suppressor. No way I’m shooting my braked 7 mag without ear pro on. I can hardly hear my wife and other people talk, I need to save what’s left of my hearing.

I like guns and freedom though too.
This is what I've got for hearing aids. I love em. As for comfort, I hardly notice I'm wearing them. I can control them individually with my phone. Nice feature is blue tooth into my TV. Great to be able to listen to TV movies in stereo with the room environment turned off.Oticon-More-1-minirite.png

I consider myself blessed. In my hunting life I’m not sure I’ve taken more than 3-4 shots (rifle) without hearing protection. I’ve done a few shotgun hunts (20ga), maybe less than a box of shells fired. Other than that and maybe three music concerts…

For being 53 years old and a quarter of a million miles of riding motorcycles (always with hearing protection) I do not have the blessing of “not hearing my wife” when she tells me something. I suppose that’s a mixed blessing. ;) The ears are pretty darn good.

I just took possession of my first suppressor (Q-Thunder Chicken) and at the top of my list is protecting my hearing until my last days…God willing, in another 30+ years. Dad’s pushing 81 these days and my mom has no quit at 82. Neither wear hearing aids (which is a miracle after 58 years of marriage, though it’s arguable neither listens to anyone about anything anymore!).

I suppose I’m derailing a bit. Protect the hearing, at any and every age. It’s not hard to put earplugs in at last light…or keep one one the left ear and the second in the right. Or use a decent set of e-Muffs or e-Buds (I have Sport-ears…).

I sat out on my tree stand earlier this week…listening to the trees waking up with the creaks and groans in the cold…the wind fluttering the empty branches…the squirrels splashing leaves about and the woodpecker tapping away in the distance as the soft morning light slowly moved down the hills. I’m never happy waking up at 4am…but the moment I am walking into the woods I’m never more at peace.

Yeah, I like my hearing just fine thank you very much.

How about being able to watch your shot through a rifle scope and verify where you hit? And if it is an animal - it doesn’t spook at the sound of a loud rifle shot - giving you a second shot if needed?

[QUOTE="FairWeather, post: 3527410, member: 50345 But, I’m in Oregon. Not going to be buying anything gun related for the foreseeable future.
[/QUOTE]

Kinda like some of our HT topics…just get in before the ban lol!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back