Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting unit 71, 3rd rifle

tillicant

Tried for combo tags, cow, no luck. Wife & I are staying at circle k. Not planning on much help there.
I tried to get my wife to go along with horseback, no luck. She blames it on my back but she's not comfortable with big dogs. Not going to push it. We're going to utilize our utv for better mobilization. This is our first time public with just bull tags, no luck in either draw.
Does anyone know of a decent guide?
I'm just not totally excited about such a late season on public.
Or is anyone familiar with the area. Don't have the option to scout, trying to use onx & I have printed maps, just don't know where to start.

Keep trying. If it was easy, there wouldn't be any game left to hunt.

And truthfully, some people just don't want it bad enough. And that's OK too.

Thanks,kinda knew that.
Been hunting public fo 50 years back here in WI.
Haven't given up yet

Yeah, thats the plan.
Gonna keep an eye on the weather before our season. Decide on a general elevation to start.
Maybe watch where everyone else goes, do the opposite 🤔

I used circle k for horses in unit 70 and really liked them as an outfit. They had maps of different drainages all marked up with trails wallows and bedding areas in unit 71. I would talk to them more as they know what is going on in the mountains around there. Head of the place is old school straight shooting. He will size you up really quick in his office. If you have a man bun get rid of it for this hunt and try to show you know what you are doing on a horse ranch. If you don't don't fake it. We passed all tests till he saw our suburban loaded with gear and then he wouldn't let us drive the horses and he did it himself after we just bought a livestock trailer in Nebraska for that very purpose and to be legal with forest service. Good memories 20160909_173308.jpg20160909_175810.jpg

Thanks,
Not going there to show anyone what I know, not much about that area.
Just trying to get a head start. Trying to study maps since I cannot scout prior to our hunt.

Back