Hunting Turkeys in the Gila

Bucksnuff

Wanting to try to turkey hunt in the Gila this year. Anyone know when the better time of the season to get them to respond to a call? If I can’t draw to kill an elk, maybe I can go shoot a turkey…

My observations from the past few years is they're fairly active on the south side of the forest when the season opens. The higher country has had more snow this year than in recent years. Not sure if that means they'll be slower to get active up there or not. Usually by mid-April we're well into full spring.

My observations from the past few years is they're fairly active on the south side of the forest when the season opens. The higher country has had more snow this year than in recent years. Not sure if that means they'll be slower to get active up there or not. Usually by mid-April we're well into full spring.
Any areas you recommend? @Kaitum
I am heading to the Gila in a week for my turkey hunt. Been E-scouting, but not familiar with that area.
still not set and stone where im going yet, so any tips would be much appreciated. Pull off camping, or a site is fine!

DM or reply would be great too!

Really wanted to try it this year but the boy-child drew a youth quota on 5/6. No time to get out there this year.

Wanting to try to turkey hunt in the Gila this year. Anyone know when the better time of the season to get them to respond to a call? If I can’t draw to kill an elk, maybe I can go shoot a turkey…
I don’t know much about the Gila, but the later end of the season when the hens go to nest seems to be a great time. Typically you will find gobblers mid day searching for the hens that aren’t on the nest yet. When I find them this way they typically come in on a string.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back