Hunting SUV

Bigbuckkiller

What do you think about turning a SUV into a hunting vehicle? I have thought about it but didnt know if it was worth it..... I was thinking of taking the back seats out and tearing the carpet up and putting a winch in the back for game transportation.. Ive thought about this because with 3-4 people stuck in a truck for that long it gets to be a little uncomfortable..... Please give me your thoughts and what else you might do... Thank you..

I used my SUV (Grand Cherokee) as my hunting rig the first yr in Montana. Laid down the back seats and stuck a tarp over it. Didn't work too well unless you have another car you use for going to work, run errands, etc as the filth still makes its way up front. I traded it in for a 4 door pick up so people in back are still pretty comfy but the dirt and blood stay separate for the most part. I have a topper on it too so my dog and gear stay dry and semi warm.

I recently switched from a Toyota Tundra to a Toyota FJ Cruiser. I was worried about the switch and the size of the SUV. First thing I noticed was after a big rain/snow storm my FJ did great. I watched several trucks sliding all over the road. In the FJ, I didn't slide at all. The trucks were in 4 wheel drive and I was still in 2. The weight in the back makes a big difference! I have gone hunting with four people in the FJ. It is doable but not as comfortable as a Tundra. This season I was also able to haul out both my elk and deer in the FJ with no problems at all. Long story short...I am very pleased with the smaller SUV as a hunting rig. Hope that helps.

I like having the option of dropping the seats and sleeping the back of mine if I get to camp late and don't feel like setting up the tent. It's also a personal rule of mine to only shoot shoot small animals so I don't have the problem of figuring out where to put a large set of antlers.

I've thought about getting one of those plastic kid pools - the ones about 12-18 inches deep. Think one would fit in the back of my Chevy Traverse with the 3rd row seat down. Should give a water tight place to keep dead critters, with space on the corners (outside of the round pool) to put my pack, weapon, etc.

Dont rip on me too bad fellas but my Subaru Forester is my hunting rig. Yea I know, it's embarrasing but heck I have loaded more deer in that joker and have had the Mrs. mad at me more times than I care to remeber for it! To help combat the belly aching I threw a tow hitch/hitch haul on 2 years ago and I am good to go. Around here in Connecticut, there isnt too much tough terrain to get around so I use my soccer mom vehicle, save dough on gas and get a kick out of buddies ribbing me while they belly ache about keeing fuel in their 8cyl pickups. Been thinking about getting an older Toyota pickup as a hunting rig, but I really don't mind driving my Subi!

CIL Hunter - if you aren't going after critters bigger then deer - a jet sled works well. I used to use that before the hitch haul and never had a whitetail that wouldn't fit in it. Plus it doubles for ice fishing!

Ticks are the main reason I'll never put a dead animal inside a vehicle again. IF, I had to use a SUV for hunting again, I'd definitely get a rack that attaches to the receiver tube.

In my younger days I'd haul deer in whatever beater I was driving at the time, and once a little heat gets to inactive ticks, they come back to life real quick.

I bought a 2001 Ford Excursion with a 7.3 powerstroke diesel engine. While diesel does cost more, this is primarily a hunting rig and I usually have at least one other person to split the fuel bill with. My friend and I have taken it out to MT Elk hunting. When all of the seats are folded down, you could fit a sheet of plywood in the back. I like the fact that it can store a lot internally and have it locked and secured. The Excursion rides great and is very comfortable for long trips. I am glad I have it and enjoy taking it hunting.

If you are a road hunter/glasser you might try something with a more vertical windshield. My wife used to drive an H2, I glassed out of it a few times and man was the windshield easy to see through with binoculars, much better than my pickup. Jeep might work well also or one of those jap mini trucks ranchers use.

Big heavy diesel vehicles are nice, I drive one as well, but I still prefer a 1/2 ton or smaller gas vehicle for hunting it's softer suspension and much more quiet than a big truck, not to mention better in the mud.

Thanks everyone! I did think about the tick situation and that gets me thinking.. Haha but i usually do hunt from my car for deer unless i wanna go for the big ones... Haha thanks everyone for all the help i will let you know what happens...

Great call on the ticks, forgot about that issue as I'm planning the set up for my next rig. Still trying to decide between a F150 or a Jeep Cherokee.

I hunted out of an 86 jeep Cherokee for years. Slept in the back with seats down. Thing would go anywhere. Dead critters went on top most of the time.

My parents’ ‘73 Olds was pretty comfortable and it went a few places it probably shouldn’t have. So, you should be fine with a SUV. 😀

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back