Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting deer Illinois

Ben_BlueOx

Hi all,

Is there anyone from Illinois (I’m located in the North, 40mins from Illinois/Wisconsin border) that plans to get out deer hunting.

I’m new to hunting, so would be really interested to tag along on scouting days and pick your brains and maybe tag along for the Hunt day too. Would just want to be an extra set of eyes who has their ears open.

thanks.

No help. Like probably most of us here, I hunt on private property. There is some state ground around to hunt but I don't use it. Good luck finding a partner!

Here are the best ways to pick people's brain that are really goof at hunting. Read these and you will gain more solid knowledge than any one person will be willing to give you in 2 days.

"Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Hendon. Get on a site like CalTop, Hillmap.com, or OnX maps and practice identifying those features in various terrain.

"Bowhunting Whitetails the Eberhart Way" and "Precision Bowhunting" John Eberhart. I personally think his fanaticism with Scent Lok is garbage. But nobody can argue with his tactics and success. But those books are a wealth of information.

"Rubline Secrets" and "Bowhunting Forests and Big Woods" by Greg Miller.

I highly reccomend purchasing and watching Dan Infalt videos. Wealth of knowledge there. Tie all those resources together and being in Illinois, you will be well on your way to becoming a proficient hunter in a very short amount of time
Between all those resources. You will put more together in the first two years of hunting on your own, than spending two days with anyone. One last thing. Don't buy into the product hype of bows. My 1993 PSE Thunderflite Express, Aluminum arrow, and fixed blade broadhead killed deer in 1996 thru 2007. My 2008 PSE still kills deer. Welcome to the hunting community. Need any other help. PM me. I am happy to help.

Since you live in mchenry county you could start Pplying to hunt conservation property it's based on a points draw system I believe.

It’s a tough geographical area to break into for deer, but be persistent, and you’ll eventually find somewhere to hunt, someone to tag along with, etc.

Some of your best leads might be business contacts, friends of friends, and other acquaintances who own farmland in IL or WI. Asking permission to bow hunt is a lot more feasible than getting access to someone’s lease or during the gun seasons. Even though you’re just starting out, it would give you an opportunity to put some boots on the ground, hang a trail camera or two, and practice e-scouting. The actual hunting part is relatively easy

One thing I learned from my time in Iowa and western IL is that it’s nearly impossible to get in on someone’s gun deer ground or party unless you’re related, pay your way in, or have serious social capital. Even among some of my closest friends there is no way I’d ever be invited for gun deer, or vice versa. People who hunt private for free often can’t afford to fit someone else in due to limited space, cost, or stretching relationships with landowners.

I found it easy for me and other friends to get group permission in IL for waterfowl and small game, with about 50% of landowners allowing access.

@ElkFever2 makes some good points. If there isn't much public in your area, Wisconsin has some pretty reasonable non-resident deer tag prices if you want to explore north a bit. Quick search on the Wisconsin DNR site lists 74 public hunting locations within a hundred mile driving distance from Chicago. I have no clue how crowded those places get but it's worth investigating if you strike out locally. Even if you have to hoof it solo, experience is often the best teacher.

Hi all,

Is there anyone from Illinois (I’m located in the North, 40mins from Illinois/Wisconsin border) that plans to get out deer hunting.

I’m new to hunting, so would be really interested to tag along on scouting days and pick your brains and maybe tag along for the Hunt day too. Would just want to be an extra set of eyes who has their ears open.

thanks.

Start here and see what opportunities you find.

Get a bow and get proficient with it. Illinois has some of the best archery hunting in America. That draws plenty of non resident hunters and their money. You will most likely need to lease some ground to hunt. Think of it like a golf country club membership. You enjoy it, so it’s worth investing some money in.

If you’re willing to drive south of I74 there’s no need to lease land. I’ll pm you a list of state parks. If you’re willing to make the drive most of these parks have camping areas you can pay to stay at it or a truck stop/rest area near by so you could just crash in your car.
If you don’t have dreams of bow hunting other states I would definitely look into getting a crossbow since they’re legal here.

Hi all,

thanks.
Hi Ben,
I am in Elgin are and also looking for someone to tag along for hunting. I go south IL for deer hunting. Let me know if you still looking for partner for hunting. Thanks, Ajay

I grew up in Illinois, Vermillion Cty. It’s been quite a while but Kennekuk Cove County Park was very good for public access. Across the Middlefork River (west) is Middlefork State Fish and Wildlife area.
Harvested as many as 6 deer a year in those woods. I preferred KCCP, as I worked there off and on. Anyway, it’s good hunting land, by November the woods are deserted by and large. Or they were, and I just can’t see that changing much.
Spend some time on the phone, KCCP should have a naturalist available.

John Eberhart talks specifically about killing two large whitetails at Starved Rock State Park in a video I have seen previously.

If you’re willing to drive south of I74 there’s no need to lease land. I’ll pm you a list of state parks. If you’re willing to make the drive most of these parks have camping areas you can pay to stay at it or a truck stop/rest area near by so you could just crash in your car.
If you don’t have dreams of bow hunting other states I would definitely look into getting a crossbow since they’re legal here.
Very nice of you….👍

Back