Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

One of the things I realized while climbing around the mountains this fall was that my feet are getting more clumsy and stumble-prone in rough terrain. I picked up a jump rope to see if that would help me be a little lighter on my feet. Anybody else ever try this?

(Obviously losing weight would be the definitive solution to the problem, but let's not got too personal at the moment. Also, I'm not embarrassed to be doing schoolgirl exercises, but I am embarrassed that schoolgirls are probably better at it than I am.)

QQ

Could you make the rest of us mortals feel worse? Jeez Miller you're kicking old man time's ass.
You should see how slowly I move getting out of bed in the morning. I must also be honest and share that I played pickle ball with my 80 year old mother during Thanksgiving holiday. I was limping for a couple days and just another day at the park for her. Wish I could trade in my leg joints.🤬🤬

One of the things I realized while climbing around the mountains this fall was that my feet are getting more clumsy and stumble-prone in rough terrain. I picked up a jump rope to see if that would help me be a little lighter on my feet. Anybody else ever try this?

(Obviously losing weight would be the definitive solution to the problem, but let's not got too personal at the moment. Also, I'm not embarrassed to be doing schoolgirl exercises, but I am embarrassed that schoolgirls are probably better at it than I am.)

QQ

Some hopping/jumping exercises should help with that. Also work on more one legged exercises:

I am just about 6 months out from when I had my achilles rupture surgery. Feels pretty good overall and getting some good hiking in with 4+ mile hikes and some elevation. Had a lot of unplanned travel/driving in Aug thru Nov that wasn't great. I am up about 15 lbs from June so pushing 230. But still feel pretty fit compared to the last time I was around 230 almost 10 yrs ago.

Signed up for a trail 1/2 marathon w/3k+ of elevation next June. Will shoot for 15 min miles. Would be good to be down to 210 lbs for that, we'll see. Need to work on some other goals.

I've been working on losing 10 pounds and really improving my lungs and leg strength before September! I hate them, but I have been incorporating 100 yard sprints and some suicides in my gym parking lot after my strength work. I have seen some progress with my endurance building even after just one week. Gonna keep that up and see how it goes.

I'm retired and age 67.
Monday/Weds/Friday mornings 7 mile hike to maintain endurance,
gradually increase to 10 miles by late spring.
I hike a National Wildlife Refuge road and irrigation roads so no traffic, plenty of wildlife.
DSCF0002.JPG
I wear my regular hiking boots and have not had a blister in 40 years.

Tuesday/Thurs mornings work on strength.
Mountain bike or dog walks for fun in evenings and weekends.

I've been working on losing 10 pounds and really improving my lungs and leg strength before September! I hate them, but I have been incorporating 100 yard sprints and some suicides in my gym parking lot after my strength work. I have seen some progress with my endurance building even after just one week. Gonna keep that up and see how it goes.
Add in farmer’s carry 80lb dumbbells and tractor tire flip to upgrade those sprints and suicides to complete self immolation.

6 miles on the road today (recent snow/melt would have made the trails gross for running).

Roads suck, but it was nice. 35deg but calm and sunny. Starting to get past the early season crappiness associated with runs and become more enjoyable.

Nice. A 40lb bag of water softener salt works really well too- the bag material is super thick and it has a built in plastic handle, makes it a lot easier to put in and remove from pack.
Some of us do that routine when we set game cameras. The cheap flake salt mixes up good in wet soil.

Nice. A 40lb bag of water softener salt works really well too- the bag material is super thick and it has a built in plastic handle, makes it a lot easier to put in and remove from pack.
Might have to go buy one. I don't have a water softener but I do have three dogs and I'm going to have to open that dog food bag soon.

I don't have a water softener

I don’t either. I’ve been using the same bag for over 10 years, someday it will give up the ghost but showing no signs of wear yet.

2000yds in the pool today. Getting a lot more comfortable now, always feel really good after a swim. I do declare I earned a few hours of ass time on the couch watching NCAA today.

Back