Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Huh.......

2pointslayr

Wolves just a quick question about em we have been using howls from the primos howler and using a rabbit in distress call mixed with some yelps and barks get the wolves to howl but never commit to coming in im good out to 600 with the 25-06 but can even see them when they start getting closer, I am stumped any other way to get them to fully commit so i can fill my tags?

have a fawn in distress call but always leave it in the truck for some reason lol

Sounds to me like you are doing what you can.

Maybe you haven't caught them when they are hungry, so they aren't too interested. Maybe someone else lured them in once with the rabbit calls, pounded one, and wised them up.

My buddy is convinced the ones up north that he kept hounding wised up quick to howls and rabbit calls. He had them doing exactly like you, only he kept them going and moved in on them. He was 100 yards away, when someone else moved in faster and shot one in the hind leg and lost it. They haven't come around or since, or they actually moved away from the calling.

That is what I was worried about shot shy or call shy time to find a new pack will be going to northern idaho in a couple weeks for deer and maybe i will get them to commit

Are your howls like a wolf's or a coyotes? I wonder if making howls and sounds (maybe a wounded coyote) like a smaller predator will lure the pack in to "dominate".

we are using coyote howls mixed with coyote yelps and barks they seem to respond better with the yelps and lite barks better than the howls

I wish I could go:( I'm not sure on the call as I have never done it, but I can tell you one thing. I have coonhunted a lot and I had this female plott hound that had a short high pitch bark when treed. The yotes would come alive. I never did get a shot at one with her, but dang if I didn't try. I don't know if that would work with the wolves or not.

Someone mentioned, they may be getting call shy. That could be good for the elk. Enough calls in the outdoors and they'll leave em alone. wishful thinking

To the ones that hunt them Good Luck.

The people I know who have called them in with howling are just using their voice to make a wolf howl, not a coyote howl. From what I've heard, if they are in the area they will come check you out.

I called one in this past fall while doing cow moose calls when trying to call in a bull. One came in to 30 yards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back