howa or remington

pseshooter300

Ok so I'm gonna pick up a new rifle this year as soon as I pay my taxi bill off. I cannot decide between two guns. I love remington always have but I also don't limit myself to them. I really want to try a howa 1500. So I thought maybe I would try to get some advice from you guys. What do you think howa 1500 or remington 700 cdl? I looked at both this weekend I just don't know

I would probably go with the howa now days knowing remingtons quality has gone down hill over the years or just do like I am and have a remington built by a good gunsmith. I do think the new savages are some of the best factory guns out there right now in the same price range.

I would probably go with the howa now days knowing remingtons quality has gone down hill over the years or just do like I am and have a remington built by a good gunsmith. I do think the new savages are some of the best factory guns out there right now in the same price range.

Ditto. I have found Howa rifles to be a little heavy (I think it is the stock). I've always preferred Savage Rifles. If you are into DIY customization, then Savage/Stevens rifles are tops.

Ditto here, the only original part of my Remington rifle when I get it back will be the action and even it will be benchrest trued beyond factory specs

There are lots of great choices out there, I love my Remingtons, Savages, Howa, etc. If you've already narrowed it down to two guns, go based on how they feel when you shoulder them, work the action, trigger pull, etc. I haven't shot Howa's new trigger, but if you go Howa I'd make sure it's the new trigger. I love the classic look of my Rem 700CDL, but at times wish it was a synthetic stock instead of wood. The Hogue overmold stock on the Howa's is a great stock IMO. If you can compare both side by side just go with your gut.

Well by what little comparing i did between the two this past weekend the howa is a little heavier but both seem to be great guns

Remington quality has gone down hill? I bought one a couple years ago and it shoots and functions just as well as the other half dozen I have. I handled a couple the other day, they seemed just fine to me.

Besides there's no excuse to not buy American! Im pretty disappoited that Howa is the OYOA "rifle" especially with all the quality US companies to chose from.

Last edited:
Have you checked out the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 ?

Pretty sure these are made by Howa...in Japan.

Stick with a Remington, if you ever want to sell it, you'll get more for it. There are tons and tons of after market parts and many can be found cheap.

Pretty sure these are made by Howa...in Japan.

Stick with a Remington, if you ever want to sell it, you'll get more for it. There are tons and tons of after market parts and many can be found cheap.

Bambi is right.

The 700 got a black-eye after that TV show claimed they were just going off about 2-3 years ago.

Between the two the one that fits you better will be the better gun as both guns in a hunting situation will likely out shoot the hunter that has them. I too would strongly suggest looking at the Savage line as they are really putting together incredible shooting rifles out of the box. My favorite rifle that I sold that I wished I never had was a Winchester. Smooth and very accurate.

The 700 got a black-eye after that TV show claimed they were just going off about 2-3 years ago.

Yep I think most of it was from kitchen gunsmiths trying to adjust the crappy factory trigger in them and not knowing what they were doing.The 700 is tried and true I just havnt had a factory one that shoots as good as a savage.They need to start floating their barrels and replace there chamber reamers more often then they would be better. I also learned the savage has a much better barrel, they clean up a whole lot easier thean the rems.Dont get me wrong I like the feel of the 700's a lot better than the savages but if you had 10 of each brand a higher % of the savages would shoot a better group. I have heard the howas shoot great also but like Bambi said they are not as american made if that matters at all to you.

I've always been pretty dang partial to my Remington 700's. Did shoot the Howa when we went wolf hunting and it seems to shoot pretty good out to about 510 yards or so:) ;)
My new custom rifle i'm building though is off the Remington 700 action. Pretty tough to beat the tried and true Remington.

If your looking for a Weatherby Vanguard, i've got one for sale that is virtually brand new..........

I don't think you could go wrong with either.I have shot a howa action guns and remington,my preference would be remington.Best advice as was stated would be to pick up each and go with your gut.Or buy 2!

For a heavier rifle the Howas and Weatherby Vanguards (made by Howa) are a great buy and accurate right out of the box. If you want something a bit lighter go check out a Tikka T3 Lite, great trigger (fully adjustable) and great accuracy right off the bat. Put a soft pad on it, like a Limbsaver, and it's great. I get nervous about the 700's anymore. Yeah, it's true they have made a million of them but some of the stuff coming out of Remington lately has been a bit sketchy. (11-87, 887, 770 etc)

Last edited:
I get nervous about the 700's anymore. Yeah, it's true they have made a million of them but some of the stuff coming out of Remington lately has been a bit sketchy. (11-87, 887, 770 etc)

Do you know who make these models for Remington? Are they made in the US?

Id rather hunt with a bow than junk made overseas :D

Just out of curiosity which savage rifles are you all referring to? Another gun that I really liked this weekend was the winchester model 70 extreme weather that is one nice gun but is a little steep right under a $1000 but I have heard a lot of positive things about it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back