Howa mini action 6.5 Grendel 123 SST

D4570

There has been some chatter about the 6.5 Grendel pros and cons.
Well, the little Grandaughter uses one and loves it and is good with it.
It's light for her to carry and has very light recoil. Her opening day hunt:

FOG, RAIN, Snow! Need I go on?
Cold, crappy, and muddy, but the show must go on.

It's a 150-mile one-way drive to the ranch we were hunting, the last 50 miles is on gravel then mostly dirt, typical Montana hunt.

We were into a lot of deer all the way up, on the roads, in the ditches and I swear some were jumping out of the roadside trees.

This would be a 4wheeler hunt, no other option.

5 minutes in Josie sees a deer. We stopped yesterday and picked up whitetail tags. The grass is too tall to sit and shoot off sticks, she had to stand and shoot across the handlebars of the wheeler. I never had her prentice like that so she had to figure it out as she went. The deer don't mind you when you are on the wheeler but they get nervous when you get off. Then she had to pick one out another first there were 7 does standing broadside to her. She picks one This is her longest shot to date 215 yards. I whispered to her to line up on her back, she did, the gun goes bang the deer goes down and tries to do a handstand, falling 10 feet from where it started. YUP one down.

We gutted, loaded it and put it in the wheeler trailer, and gushed on.

Maybe 15 minutes later we see two more, Did you know a wet deer is about impossible to see even when there laying in short grass? We stop and put the glasses on them, one was a buck, not a big one, and maybe her smallest to date but she was wet and miserable and said she wanted to take it.

OK, another first this one was 250 yards and standing next to a near impenetrable bunch of Hawthorn bushes. Again standing using the handlebars, no whisper this time she had it figured out, BANG. But the deer did not fall in the spot. It bucked and dove into the brush, dang.

We drove to the spot and could see blood spry all over, we had to crawl in almost on our bellies to find it. Maybe 15 feet but no way to see it from the edge of the brush. Kind of like hunting Back east.

Anyway, we tied a rope on it and pulled it out with the wheeler. At 250 yards the bullet dropped 4" and just behind the shoulder blade then through the lungs and top of the heart then out the off-side shoulder blade. Dang good shot.

I got a doe tag to try to get a pistol deer with the 45colt. We saw a ton within 30/40 yards to bad the Blackhawk was still in the truck miles away.

Sara had two doe tags to fill and she did. She wanted to shoot a big whitey but we did not see the one she wanted. Bear crap everywhere but no bear seen. We did see a white wolf on the property next to where we were hunting, no shot or we would have tried.

IMG-1562.jpg

Awesome job! We just got our mini sighted in this last weekend. It’s a shooter and my daughter Loves it!

I really wish I would have bought one of those when Whittaker Guns had them with two stock combo on clearance. I think I'm going to rebarrel my 204 Ruger to 6.5 Grendel when I burn out the barrel because it does wonders on deer out as far as I need to shoot.

I have been shooting the 6.5 Grendel 123 SST in my AR. It's really starting to come together. 20" AR I'm right around 2550fps using CFE223. What powder you using?

IMR 8208 xbr
We are getting right at 2500 fps.
She shoots at a bit less than an inch at 150 yards, that's what we zero in at.
They will blow right through a shoulder bone.
100 yards it's about 1" high and about 2 low at 200, 3 at 250.
We have not practiced over that, she is 13 now and has been hunting deer at 10, 6 deer so far.

Good stuff. What bullet are you using @D4570 ?

I haven't played with my Grendel too much yet, finally rounded up some reloading supplies. Going to tinker with it this winter. Until then I have a couple hundred Hornady 123sst factory to plink with. Its sure fun shooting a rifle that doesn't kick. I warm up with a mag of some sort and go to it, and you would be amazed how small the groups get. haha

One of these in a chassis with adjustable stock in grendel or 6 arc seems about perfect for getting kids going. Throw on a suppressor so there's no recoil, no noise.. almost makes me want to put one together for my 1 YO daughter. You know, to "save $ before they get more expensive in 8 years".

There has been some chatter about the 6.5 Grendel pros and cons.
Well, the little Grandaughter uses one and loves it and is good with it.
It's light for her to carry and has very light recoil. Her opening day hunt:

FOG, RAIN, Snow! Need I go on?
Cold, crappy, and muddy, but the show must go on.

It's a 150-mile one-way drive to the ranch we were hunting, the last 50 miles is on gravel then mostly dirt, typical Montana hunt.

We were into a lot of deer all the way up, on the roads, in the ditches and I swear some were jumping out of the roadside trees.

This would be a 4wheeler hunt, no other option.

5 minutes in Josie sees a deer. We stopped yesterday and picked up whitetail tags. The grass is too tall to sit and shoot off sticks, she had to stand and shoot across the handlebars of the wheeler. I never had her prentice like that so she had to figure it out as she went. The deer don't mind you when you are on the wheeler but they get nervous when you get off. Then she had to pick one out another first there were 7 does standing broadside to her. She picks one This is her longest shot to date 215 yards. I whispered to her to line up on her back, she did, the gun goes bang the deer goes down and tries to do a handstand, falling 10 feet from where it started. YUP one down.

We gutted, loaded it and put it in the wheeler trailer, and gushed on.

Maybe 15 minutes later we see two more, Did you know a wet deer is about impossible to see even when there laying in short grass? We stop and put the glasses on them, one was a buck, not a big one, and maybe her smallest to date but she was wet and miserable and said she wanted to take it.

OK, another first this one was 250 yards and standing next to a near impenetrable bunch of Hawthorn bushes. Again standing using the handlebars, no whisper this time she had it figured out, BANG. But the deer did not fall in the spot. It bucked and dove into the brush, dang.

We drove to the spot and could see blood spry all over, we had to crawl in almost on our bellies to find it. Maybe 15 feet but no way to see it from the edge of the brush. Kind of like hunting Back east.

Anyway, we tied a rope on it and pulled it out with the wheeler. At 250 yards the bullet dropped 4" and just behind the shoulder blade then through the lungs and top of the heart then out the off-side shoulder blade. Dang good shot.

I got a doe tag to try to get a pistol deer with the 45colt. We saw a ton within 30/40 yards to bad the Blackhawk was still in the truck miles away.

Sara had two doe tags to fill and she did. She wanted to shoot a big whitey but we did not see the one she wanted. Bear crap everywhere but no bear seen. We did see a white wolf on the property next to where we were hunting, no shot or we would have tried.

IMG-1562.jpg
Are you shooting the mini with the factory stock and bottom “metal”??? Trying to decide if I need/should do any upgrades on ours…. Thanks!

Yes, and yes, the stock is a youth.
The plastic mag well and trigger guard kind of suck.
The replacement ones if you can find any are half the price of the gun.

Love my mini in 6.5G. I did spring for some DIP bottom metal and shortened one of my mags. I also did some ugly home stippling on the factory stock since the texturing wasn’t very aggressive. But it shoots phenomenally and carries like a dream. I usually use 100gr NPTs over Benchmark in mine, but if they don’t start producing them again soon I’ll resight it and use some 120/123/129s in it with H4895 or Tac

Back