How to mount older dead head

jtozier9

New to the forums from Big Sky, Montana!

First year shed hunting, and a little late start for the season but I have been finding many older sheds which should help me early next year. I found this the other day and have a few questions. I don't think I want to repair the tines or clean anything. I like the lichen and am thinking of just mounting it exactly as I found it.

I am wondering if the antlers become weak where they attach to the skull? Any ideas how to mount this guy?

And lastly is there a way to know relatively how old it is?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2015-05-21-at-11.41.11-AM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-05-21-at-11.41.11-AM.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 598
  • Screen-Shot-2015-05-21-at-11.40.50-AM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-05-21-at-11.40.50-AM.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 616
I've ran across some similar (older) sheds. Never mounted any, but they've generally been pretty durable once they get nice an weathered like that.

I think you should be more careful of the cracks in the skull than where the antlers attach to the skull itself but im not sure how to hang it since the ones i have found that are missing the upper mandibles are often hard to get to hang on a wall or plaque straight. Post a picture when you get it done though thats an awesome find!
Also i would say it looks to be 4 to 5 years old depending if it was in the timber or not and how chalky the horns are.

Where the bone and antler join, won't be an issue. The skull splitting will be. Can't tell how much of the skull is there, I presume the entire brain case? If so I would cut it flush like you would for a plaque mount, then clean the bone well, and fiberglass the inside. You could then hang it or mount it on a plaque.

As far as age, its hard to say. Sun light breaks down horn/bone much faster than anything. If it was in the shade it could last decades, in full sun the time reduces significantly.

A note, the lichen thats growing on it, takes at least 5 years of favorable conditions before establishment, then grows about 1mm a year. I would estimate that rack at 15-20 years. Really just a guess though.

Cool find.

Thanks everyone, I think the fiberglass on the inside of the skull will work out nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back