How to cook my bird?

mtmiller

Alright, I finally thawed my bird, but now what? My first bird from this year was just cubed and served several ways, but I was hoping to do this guy whole in the oven.

Someone at work said "no way" to the baking and that I should just piece it and use a crock pot. My mommy baked the first one I got two decades ago and I thought it tasted good, but then again, I thought Busch light was nectar of the gods about that same time.

Anyone have any tips?

mtmiller,
I had a wild turkey that was injected with cajun spice and deepfried. It was a little drier then domestic turkey but really good.

I think it will depend on how big it is. Over 13 or 14 lbs even deep fried ones will dry out.

Nemont

[ 06-25-2004, 14:03: Message edited by: Nemont ]

MTM,
I skin my birds out, but even with the skin on this works.
Cover the ENTIRE bird with hickory smoked bacon(use wooden toothpicks to secure). Place in a deep pan on metal base to avoid contact with water. 1/4" water in bottom to avoid drying. Stuff with conventional stuffing(DO NOT EAT)aids in moisture. Cook at 300-325 basting every 20 mins or so until internal temp is 175-180 degrees or slice breast deeply to check for pink.
Pretty simple recipe really, but the birds I've cooked using this method are moist and tender regardless of age. Do not eat the bacon BTW!!

Chas

Smoked with a water pan in there. It will be moist and tasty. I like that the best. You can bake in an oven too, but use a oven bag. You can get them at most grocery stores. They seal in the moisture as well.

What we did with mine is BB-Q.
We plucked it scored the skin with a sharp knife ,slathered it with olive oil ,put slices of butter in the slits in the skin. Then we COVERED it with paprika in side and out, stuffed it with bread and apple stuffing raped it up in two layers of tin foil pit in some ice curbs and put it in the BBQ for 3&1/2 hours as low as the gas BBQ would go (around 300*) It came out GREAT!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back