How much elk can a bear chuck chuck?

squirrel

tempImageFbgBEQ.jpgtempImageK74VGM.jpgI wouldn't have believed it but he got half, in one squatting no less. What is the consensus on one night of gluttony for blackies. (then the ravens took their tax cut as well). I set it up by leaving my butcher kit in KS whitetail camp when picked up by my buddy. I never thought with my boat anchor buddy that I would actually get one but there she was... begging as the bulls cavorted at 75 yards knowing I had no either sex tag. No WY saw no mason's twine but 18" of clean snow is great, only over night right? The next am with 4 llamas ( I only needed 1) the whole pile of burger sweet meat gone... one hind 1/4 down to shank and femur. Very depressing and a first for me after 40 elk and another 50 Ive been involved in. Never say never I guess. What is the most you guys have ever lost to the tax man in one night?tempImageWuib81.jpg

I killed a second season Colorado bull a few years ago. I shot him right before dark in a heavy snow squall. My buddy and I got him broke down and layed out on a snowy log to cool. My buddy had killed a bull earlier in the day, and we elected to pack his out, and return for mine in the morning. Long story short, at daylight, only 4 quarters remained. Both tenderloins, both loins and a bag of loose meat were gone. Bloody paw prints on an aspen told us who was responsible.

A few years earlier, a pine martin dined on some quarters left hanging in a fir tree, overnight. Guess what he ate first? So much for having "evidence of sex naturally attached. "

One in Southern CO, and he wouldn't give up what he considered his elk! We were able to push him off, but not before most of the trim meat was gone.

Been there, Done that. I had a bear steal a whole quarter in a game bag once. I followed the trail and got it back. That will make you feel really alive, let me tell you!
Little SOB bit a perfect semi-circle out of the rear leg. Took 6 inches of femur with the meat.

I get my meat out ASAP. If I'm way in, that means leap frog trips so that when I'm back at the truck, I'm out.

I drink lots of water and leave a piss fence every time I leave meat on the ground. I've had magpies poke holes in my game bags, but I've never had another bear issue since adopting this tactic.

One of my hunting buddies killed a bull in 2011 1st rifle just before dark on opening day. We packed 3 bags back to camp and went back for the other 2 bags the next morning. We had tied those 2 bags on a tree limb about 7' off the ground. When we got up there, one bag had a slit down the bag and missing one side of backstrap and one side of tenderloin.

That's too bad! You could always eat one of those ugly sheep you have to make up for lost meat

i had a a pair of grey foxes eat the backstraps and drag the head off from a 33in wide mulie while i set in the pup tent scarred a bear was gonna eat me, about 40 years ago,,,,,, next morning i followed the "bear tracks" and retrieved the head, i was surprised bears were so small,,,, i was 15 and 3 miles from the main camp,,,,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back