How Much Do You Practice?

I worked up couple loads last year on rifles I want to use this year and doing same thing for next year hunting. Colorado DOW has rifle range in unit I'll hunt so I go up early check zero.

One club belong has 300yd range and 1000yd range different locations. I also load at the range so any changes I make I see instant results. I have 80yd archery range at house and been doing little PD shooting.

I take my gun on my pack one day a week when I'm hiking. I fire 1-2 rounds after hiking 2-3 miles and then hike out. Trying to keep it as close to what I will need to do in the fall as possible (although the sweat dripping in my eyes from the KY humidity hopefully won't be a problem in MT in the fall). I haven't done this yet with my bow, but need to drop a target somewhere and start doing that one day a week (will do the same, 2 arrows and make them count probably).
I like this strategy. I shoot a decent amount all year with various guns (because it's fun). But starting about this time of year, my "practice" for hunting season mostly involves a lot of hiking with increasing amounts of weight in my backpack. Taking some shots while winded from exercise is a good idea, but I've not yet found an exercise routine for me that completely prepares me for the pack-out.

+1 on the dry fire. Several days a week. I don't get elk very often over the summer but deer every day on the place. Great dry fire practice

Groundhogs with the 22 make great practice over summer. From cold, 1 shot. No warm up time at the range, sneak, concentrate on breathing and squeeze.
I also do some year round practice with my 22 bolt action to 100 yds. Closer to season I will go through 2 or 3 boxes of the chosen centerfire for the year.

Normally at the sparsely populated early Sunday mornings at the range...about twice a month...when components were available.

Check the zero verify the drop at 400 and go on my way. I’ve shot a lot throughout my life though. 2 shots before a season or hunt.

Mid summer I do 50 rounds through my bolt action 22 Remington a week and then a box through my rifle I plan to use. If it’s the 30-06 I do 5 shots at 100 up to 400 yards. The .444 marlin I just to 10 rounds. It’s a shoulder puncher!

I don't do a lot in the winter but starting about now, I shoot once a week or so.

Most of the time, less than 10 rounds a session, sometimes only 3 or 4. Takes me about 10 minutes to get to the range.

I usually make my first round cold barrel shots from 150-350 yards which is a vast, vast majority of my hunting shots. I don't shoot groups much anymore either, shoot 3-12 inch steel targets almost exclusively. Shoot the 3 inch targets to 300 yards, then move to 6-12 inch steel at 300-750 yards. Rarely shoot past 750.

I think quality shooting, concentrating, and muscle memory are where its at.

Right before the season I usually shoot a 5 shot zero group at 250 yards just to make sure all is right with the world.

During the season, I may make another trip or two to the range, usually a one shot deal to confirm zero at 250.

Don't burn much ammo actually killing game these days.

Great way to get *practical* rifle practice, rather than just punching paper off a bench, are .22 Sniper or PRS comps. I set up a Christensen Ranger similar to my hunting rig(s) to practice scope dialing, real-world shooting positions, etc. Just wish there were more rifle courses similar to 3D archery ranges available.

I reload a lot and have a 100-yard backyard range but as other posters here and folks like Jack O'Connor and Townsend Whelen advised, you can learn an awful lot and master the basic rifle marksmanship fundamentals with just dry-firing. O'Connor said he did ten dry fires per day from two positions. I use snap-caps and also practice brisk and immediate bolt manipulation after the "shot". You'll notice the difference when you are able to get in some live-fire range time.

With powder primers and bullets being harder to get the last couple years my shooting has gone down a bit. I shoot about 200-300 rounds a year now between 3 rifles. I like to shoot what can I say 😏

Shoot at distance when I can (out to 3-400y max but have been successful in keeping my shots on game animals at about half that) prob 3-4 times a year.

Shoot at my “local range” (about 5 minutes up the road) out to 100y prob 1-2x a month working on breathing, trigger pull, etc (esp with the new ultralight). Also like to set up, go back home, and walk up there “briskly” with a full pack to get the heart pumping and then just sit and shoot from the ground as I find that my shooting bench is never around when I’m hunting 😏

Call me old fashioned but most of my practice is with my 22 rimfire. I have a bolt action with a trigger and scope that matches my hunting rifle. I shoot spinners at a variety of distances and positions. I focus on breathing and muscle memory. I know everyone loves shooting tiny groups off a bench at long ranges, but most of my shots in the field are still well within 200 yards. Fundamentals matter more than ballistics IMO.
And then you are in top form for grouse season in Montana or Idaho.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back