How long does it usually take to draw a goat tag?

geetar

I’m 28 years old and I’m interested in starting putting in for goat and sheep tags? Do I actually have a chance of drawing a tag in my lifetime or at least in the time I’ll be in good enough shape to hunt rugged mountain terrain? How hard is drawing goat tags vs sheep tags. I wanna do both but I could hunt unlimited sheep area but I don’t know of any unlimited goat areas so I would have to draw.

I would be glad to but my wife wouldn’t move to Alaska. Lol
Join the club brother. I put in for a ewe tag. From the research I’ve done that seems like the most reasonable thing to do. I’d love to kill a big ram but, I’d prefer to hunt the animal, not the tag.

There is no way to answer your question. Put in. You might draw. You might die first. I would bet if you put in for all the states you can every year for 30 years you draw something. But you might not.
If you’re serious about going, buy a hunt in BC or AK soon. They aren’t getting any cheaper.

I'm 33 and this is my first year applying for the big 3, I went all in with Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Montana and Nevada. You will never draw if you don't apply.

In my opinion, if you apply in every state with goat tags (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah) the odds are better than 50/50 that you would draw a tag by the time you are 50 unless the resource takes a downer or unless for some reason a lot more people start applying for tags. People mention Idaho quite often, but with the 10% nonresident cap it really ends up being closer to a 3% draw odds historically.

If you just want to hunt goats, Wyoming has those new units that are pretty much structured like the unlimiteds for sheep in Montana. I think they are giving out a lot of tags that will mostly go unfilled.

If you want something guaranteed that you can work into your schedule, Alaska or Canada with a guide are really your only option for goats.

My 2 cents. Nathan

I look at it with a positive spin. You can't draw if you never put in. That's why I am going to advocate for preference points for both residents and nonresidents in Wyoming and hopefully we get others to follow, least for a percentage share of the licenses.

For the big three preferences points systems make no sense, essentially everyone who puts in the first year has a shot and then no one else will ever have a chance. Preference point systems only make sense if statistically you will be able to draw a tag in 1-5 years.

There is no way to answer your question. Put in. You might draw. You might die first. I would bet if you put in for all the states you can every year for 30 years you draw something. But you might not.
If you’re serious about going, buy a hunt in BC or AK soon. They aren’t getting any cheaper.
Spot on........ ive got 17 points in montana have been putting in since they started the draw point system. With the area I am putting in this year I think I actually have a chance......🤣...Looking at the draw statistics for the state more guys draw with middle of the pack points (6,7,8,9) then max points ......wtf is that!? Good luck to you in your endeavor and btw if you draw first time applying in MT, kiss my ass haha. No in all seriousness may the force be with you.

Seri
Join the club brother. I put in for a ewe tag. From the research I’ve done that seems like the most reasonable thing to do. I’d love to kill a big ram but, I’d prefer to hunt the animal, not the tag.
Seriously considering doing the same myself. I consider myself an experience hunter not a meat hunter or trophy hunter. I’ll eat the meat off of whatever I kill but I’m not chasing animal just for meat or just for horns I want to have a good experience enjoying God’s beautiful creation and get a nice piece of meat at the same time so the eww tag sounds like a good option. I think I’ll start putting in for it. Does the ewe tag costs the same as Ram tag?

In my opinion, if you apply in every state with goat tags (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah) the odds are better than 50/50 that you would draw a tag by the time you are 50 unless the resource takes a downer or unless for some reason a lot more people start applying for tags. People mention Idaho quite often, but with the 10% nonresident cap it really ends up being closer to a 3% draw odds historically.

If you just want to hunt goats, Wyoming has those new units that are pretty much structured like the unlimiteds for sheep in Montana. I think they are giving out a lot of tags that will mostly go unfilled.

If you want something guaranteed that you can work into your schedule, Alaska or Canada with a guide are really your only option for goats.

My 2 cents. Nathan
Thanks! Where can I find more info on those goat hunts. I’ll go to the Wyoming Fish and Game website but is there a good thread here about them like there are for unlimited sheep.

I'm 33 and this is my first year applying for the big 3, I went all in with Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Montana and Nevada. You will never draw if you don't apply.
Being from NC I don’t know a ton about the application process for western big game. ( most of our hunting here is otc license for deer bears and turkeys ) so do you have to pay up front all these tag costs and then return the check if you are unsuccessful or do you have to just pay an application fee?

I look at it with a positive spin. You can't draw if you never put in. That's why I am going to advocate for preference points for both residents and nonresidents in Wyoming and hopefully we get others to follow, least for a percentage share of the licenses.

Yeah let's go to points so we can make sure we don't draw.

My five moose and sheep points currently have less value than anything else I own. Honestly don't know why I have them except for a hope that some eventual overhaul of the system gives me a leg up I can't anticipate.

Being from NC I don’t know a ton about the application process for western big game. ( most of our hunting here is otc license for deer bears and turkeys ) so do you have to pay up front all these tag costs and then return the check if you are unsuccessful or do you have to just pay an application fee?

Depends on the states. For most states in order to apply you will have to buy a hunting license or pay an application fee + a preference point fee, both of which are non-refundable. Let's say on average $150 to apply per state per year, then when you draw you pay the tag cost. So Say you apply in 4 states for 10 years (150*4)*10 = 6000. That's just to apply.

Every state is totally different, WY is $150 for a pref point Utah is $10... I'm just trying to ball park it to give you an idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back