How far do you go to avoid other hunters?

I'm heading into a large wilderness next week during peak rut. I've been hunting on the coast of Oregon. Where I was, if I was parked there first and it's a known place for action, it's a 50/50 chance another hunter is going to park next to my truck and head on in, waiving to me as he walks or rides on by. I don't do this. I treat the area like a trout stream. If someones is at the spot I was interested in, I drive down a ways and give another area a chance.
My question to you is- how far would you go if you were in my position? The scenario will be as follows- Mountainous terrain in Eastern Oregon. Elevation will go from 5000ft to 8000ft. Access will be by trail head if I want to cover distance. A truck or two or three are at the trail head and obviously hunting. I have 6 areas of interest that look like they have potential on google maps. They are all at least 2-3 hours apart by driving. Do I leave the trail head and go to another one, drive 5-10 miles up the road and try to hike in deep enough to glass the other side of the ridge, or head in with the idea that if I see these guys I'll turn back or hike way past them? I really don't like stepping on toes. I have 8 days to put an elk down. What would you do?

Honestly, once you get a mile or two past the trailhead hunters disperse. Even with 6 trucks at a trailhead it’s totally possible you may not see anyone and very likely you won’t actually be close enough to get in each other’s way.

Honestly, once you get a mile or two past the trailhead hunters disperse. Even with 6 trucks at a trailhead it’s totally possible you may not see anyone and very likely you won’t actually be close enough to get in each other’s way.

Fair enough. I'll keep it in mind. I'm hoping to see trailers if I see any trucks. That way I'd assume they're way back. My plans are to hunt local. 1-2 miles in, camp two nights, glass, no elk-leave, see elk with no other hunters- give em hell. I feel it's the best way to hunt solo.

One trailhead I hunt often has 20+ vehicles. I'll get back in a couple miles on trail, get off trail half a mile, and not see anyone the whole day.

Depending on the size of the area you're looking at, there could be only 1 other truck and it will be tight or there could be 20 other trucks and you won't see anyone. It sort of depends. I would hunt the way you're planning and just see how things play out. If you see elk, go for it and don't worry too much about the other folks.

Go for it. A trail head is just a parking spot. You have a ton of choices once you get down the trail. If you see someone, respect that and head in another direction. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back