How do you like to coyote hunt?

D

Delw

How do you guys like to hunt coyote's in the real thick stuff where they scare the heck out of you when they come in or in the flats where you can see them a mile away running full bore at your call?

Delw

Also whats your favorite weapon for the close range shots and the long range shots?

Delw

never shot a coyote but would love to and will take it is i see it and have a gun. My friends brohter took one at 10 yards with a 45 when he came out of his tent with it the gun straped to his side and caught the thing in his food he got a shot through the chest. He names all of his guns for the first thing they killed he has deer snake raccon and coyote and he has a new one that he is going to try to name elk

------------------
Mini Moose
moosebattle2.jpg

Delw
I like to see what's happen so, I like the big vallys or flats. If I'm calling thick brush I get out in to open and call the critters out of the thick stuff.
I use a 17 or a 223 for all my shooting.
Wyote

------------------
For every law thats passed a little freedom dies

Well...being from Minnesota...I like to go on a cold clear night, during a full moon, in the Winter. Everything is illuminated. I hunt mostly wooded areas here in farm country, cause thats where the yotes are. I've learned that if you're trying to call yote out of the woods into a field...ya gotta use a decoy. He just won't committ otherwise. I'm looking for a toy stuffed animal in likeness of a fox. Gonna soak it w/ fox piss for scent and have it next to my toy stuffed rabbit. Put 'em together 50yds. out in the field for visual while I stay on edge of the woods. The speaker could be mounted in between the two toys, while I control volume at my hide.
I've been using a mouth-driven screaming rabbit call, and even get deer to come see. Coyotes hang-up a lot. I am mostly using .243 Savage Striker handgun, and my 3.5inch 12ga. w/ #1,#4 and 00 buckshot. Full choke to 50-60 yds. puts out a very nice pattern!
I'm also fond of baitpiles consisting of any small roadkill like possum,coon, cats etc. or deer carcusses. They draw crows by day and fox n' yotes by nite. I also will tell ya that dairy farms spread manure on the fields during the Winter, and if its been deep snow or cold weather, manure fields draw crows, mice, possum, coons...and in turn the predators. Hunting the downwind side is always a challenge, but your scent is camo'd
smile.gif
I've told ya all my shitty little secrets now, so I expect to hear yours in return...yuk, yuk, chuckle, HAR! Sparkman

Mini moose: ya need to give coyote hunting a try. its a blast

Wyote: I love to call in the open. I like long range shooting. Plus if you miss that first shot you can get a few more in befor he's gone. Ive hunted in the thick stuff alot,Visability was about 10 yards. Just wanted to see how it would go. I started calling and a owl came in took the hat right off the top of my head alone with some hair and scalp. After I settled down from that I started calling again,Got one dog at about 6 feet with a 20 gauge and #4 buck.
Went to another stand(also took my shorty ar-15) about 1/4 up the wash very very thick.started calling and within 5 mins I had dogs all over. I was able to kill one right away. called dsome more and got another. on the second round of calling after I killed the yote I ran up to the edge of the bank where you can see for mile's(open sage) I nailed one more who was just walking up a hill. It was fun and exciting but very very fast.

Sparkman: I used a stuffed animal(armodillo) that my daughter had cats pissed on it so I adopted it.Kids and wife thought I was crazy but it did the job. Ive also put a weasle ball on the inside of it for motion. Ive had coyotes take them right off the rock there sitting on and run for ever with them in there mouth.
I have a striker .243 but only killed one coyote with it and a deer.I have a 2x glass tapered dot tasco pistol scope on it with base's that I made. It was the very first sricker that savage came out with so no base's where avail. at the time.
How do you like that left handed bolt on the gun? I personialy love it.

Delw

Del...I really like the Striker and its left hand bolt, keeps my powerhand on the grip. I hate losing my grip! I hear ya on the early striker bases, I welded up a set for myself out of Savage 110 components to make a one-piece. Sounds like (from your scope set-up) that you are holding the Striker like conventional pistol form at arms length? I just couldn't get that to work for me.
I'm holding it close to my body, w/ elbows contacting chest. Had to get 2.8-10x44 from Simmons w/ 5 inches eye-relief to make it a go. I'm also using a sling wrapped around my left arm. Stability is happening! I've ahhh heard of guys buying bi-pods, and installing 'em backwards. Folded up the bipod is adjusted to contact the shoulder like a stock. Big rubber feet installed on the bipod. Excellent results in way of stability gained. I plead the 5th. Sparkman

I Love the long eye relief, But I been shooting scoped pistols for a long time also. HEHE I even put a 4x leupold on a ruger security six .357 mag. The scope mount I made In my machine shop(one of the advanteages) it works good.
You did give me a Good idea on the big rubber feet for the bipod I'm going to do that.

Delw

My favorite way to hunt coyotes is driving the two tracks at daylight. I try to cut a fresh track. If I do, it's time to drop the start dogs. Once the coyote is jumped, I try to keep adding hounds until I can get a shot at him as he circles, or until the hounds bay him up. There is, in my opinion, no better way to spend a winter day.

Dont Matter .....I use my shotgun when i work thick brush and I use my 22-250 when im huntin wide open........as long as I can use my dogs......

Back