How do you handle ticks?

matechakeric

I didn't know which forum this belongs in but this one seems decent enough. How to handle ticks in the woods or foothills? do you treat your clothing? do you avoid specific areas?

Permethrin. I buy the concentrate and mix my own and then apply it to all of my clothes with a garden sprayer prior to the season. I also keep a can of the sawyer aerosol in my truck door for a quick blast on my legs if needed. Works wonders.

Say you get one the embeds itself in you … what's the best way to remove?

Permethrin clothing is key, but deet is also part of the plan - I like 3M's ultrathon spray - it is encapsulated so you don't have the harsh solvents like traditional deet products.

Tics are fairly rare in interior Alaska, but AK Fish and Game is worried that they could substantially reduce the moose population like they did in Maine/New Hampshire. So there is an open season and no bag limit on any mule deer that migrates into interior AK (also rare).

Say you get one the embeds itself in you … what's the best way to remove?
Lots of ways to do this, but as a frequent hiker and hunter in the Northwoods of MN (a top tick area) I like the $3 tick removers that look like small plastic measuring spoons with a notch on one side. Since moving to permetherin + 3M Ultrathon after getting lymes, I haven't had to use one on a family member for a number of years - but still handy on the dogs.

Similar to VGuy above I carry one of these in my pack....as an ex forester I’ve had ticks on me and in me for 50+ years and never gave them much thought (I remember my dad holding a match to their ass to “back them out” or putting vicks on them so they again would “come out for air” lol🙄). Now that my wife tested positive for Lyme a few years back I’ve got to admit they now really creep me out knowing what she’s been through!

94591833-85E1-4FCC-B1EC-CE0DE80931DA.jpeg

Similar to VGuy above I carry one of these in my pack....as an ex forester I’ve had ticks on me and in me for 50+ years and never gave them much thought (I remember my dad holding a match to their ass to “back them out” or putting vicks on them so they again would “come out for air” lol🙄). Now that my wife tested positive for Lyme a few years back I’ve got to admit they now really creep me out knowing what she’s been through!
i hate ticks. they creep me out like nothing else. they are my biggest concern in the woods by far because I've seen what lyme disease and rocky mountain spotted fever look like

i hate ticks. they creep me out like nothing else. they are my biggest concern in the woods by far
#metoo

I 'handle' them by just not going where they are prevalent.

When something takes me into tick country (which is basically only Spring Turkey in NE or the black hills), I douse things in Permetherin. It works, meaning I haven't had to pick any off my person in the last couple trips, but they still crawl onto everything.

Why would you want to handle ticks? I squash them. LOL. GJ
You beat me to that.

To pull them out I've always used fine tipped tweezers grabbing the tick close to it's head so not to squeeze it's stomach.

I had a dog in Vietnam that when I got her I immediately removed 150 ticks.

No shortage of ticks her in the SE. And it seems tick season goes from about February to November, so another vote for 3M Ulthrathon. Comes in both a spray and a lotion. It's the best insect repellant I've found so far. I also have a tick remover tool (forget what it's called exactly) that works pretty well in case the first line of defense fails.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back