Caribou Gear

How do you catch a walleye?

Bigjay73

Thinking of hitting a Denver area like tomorrow, have never caught a walleye. What would you use/do if all you wanted was to catch 1 walleye any size? Open to artificial or live bait options.

Are you shore fishing or in a boat? That will make a difference.

Bottom bouncer. All purpose would be 3/4oz. 6 ft leader and a spinner rig tipped with live bait or plastics work kinda ok too. Keep that weight on or close to bottom and run around .7 to 1.2 mph. Either run along a weed edge or a depth break on a sunken tip or inside bend. Figuring out what depth is on you!!🤣 Fish on!

Jig & minnow, or twister tail/paddletail hopped or swung along the bottom. Look around pockets in weed edges, rocky windblown points, or underwater humps. Probably less than 15' of water right now. Fish are probably schooled up, so look on side imaging if you can.

Good luck.

Not to derail but what about shore fishing? Never caught them from shore.

I fish 5 days a week from opener in the spring till hunting season starts mid Sept. I target almost exclusively walleye. This time of year when I get out it's jig and a minnow bite or a lindy rig with a big chub bite!

Denver area lake for walleye. I left Greeley about 1983. Back then there was a Denver area lake that was supposed to have them. Can't remember the name of it but seems it was on the south side. Only ever went out there one time and didn't fish.

Go find the All Eyes on Fishing podcast. A bunch of CO/Denver area guys that talk almost exclusively walleye. They're goofballs and I have a hard time listening to every episode, but they do have some good content.

Back