Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How are Animals fairing so far this winter

8andcounting

It’s only January 15 but how are things across Montana so far ? Here in Eastern ND we have a lot of snow but temps haven’t been terrible yet . White tails seem to be fine so far

Cmon man ! Legit answer for once !!! I didn’t say SE Montana ! I’m just curious how much snow is out there
🤣 you know I had to bust your ball's 8. I'd say it's been pretty fair, we had some shots early in October and November the mountains got some unseasonably early snow and that was followed by a mild December and up until this week warm January. Some places will differ but for the most part it's been decent. Talked to a buddy up north and he said it's not bad at all. Nothing like previous couple winters which is a nice change. THERE! YA HAPPY!

I will add that due to a December 1st closure there isn't many 3 and 4 year old mule deer bucks left hence why I made my first post. So if the later closure didn't get them the harsh winters of 20 might.

🤣 you know I had to bust your ball's 8. I'd say it's been pretty fair, we had some shots early in October and November the mountains got some unseasonably early snow and that was followed by a mild December and up until this week warm January. Some places will differ but for the most part it's been decent. Talked to a buddy up north and he said it's not bad at all. Nothing like previous couple winters which is a nice change. THERE! YA HAPPY!
I’d expect nothing less and thanks man !

I will add that due to a December 1st closure there isn't many 3 and 4 year old mule deer bucks left hence why I made my first post. So if the later closure didn't get them the harsh winters of 20 might.
Totally don’t get the December 1 closure - yah yah I know the law , close Sunday after thanksgiving I get it but holy crap when they are rutting like they always are from nov10- December it’s just stupid . I bet they got frickin hammered this year

Totally don’t get the December 1 closure - yah yah I know the law , close Sunday after thanksgiving I get it but holy crap when they are rutting like they always are from nov10- December it’s just stupid . I bet they got frickin hammered this year
This is Montana man, we got plenty of public and plenty of mule deer bucks to go round. This state is well known for its pristine management foot wildlife.

Last edited:
I love coming to Montana every year but I’d be fine not being able to shoot a buck every year . If they limited it some and a guy could get a tag every 3 -4 years or so and have a chance at bigger deer I’d be for it .

I think the Montana winter has been pretty easy on wildlife so far, but we have a few months to go before the cold weather will be behind us. I know that Idaho just got hammered with a big snow storm, and I don't know if extreme SW Montana caught some of that.

Average winter in Alaska...21 inches on the ground in my backyard.
I am mostly concerned for Sitka Blacktail Deer at their northern range.

Most states have a web-based map that will give you an accurate snow depth.
For example, for Alaska: Current Snow Depth Map

8 is always stirring the pot. Maybe get an archery tag in your own state and hunt real deer every year. I know I wouldn’t waste my time over here if I could do that.

8 is always stirring the pot. Maybe get an archery tag in your own state and hunt real deer every year. I know I wouldn’t waste my time over here if I could do that.
I shoot real deer with my bow every year . I mostly archery hunt . White tails . If your referring to western nd mule deer archery I’d rather not have to hunt amongst oil trucks

Good luck I hope you draw and get a good buck . You’ll see tons of oil trucks and tons of hunters . It’s otc for residents .

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back