Hot Tent for a spring bear hunt

dk88

I am heading to Kuiu Island in the spring of 2021 for a black bear hunt. We are hoping to have some form of hot tent setup. I have a lightweight vented propane stove that I planned on bringing for a heat source since I would assume everything else would be too wet to burn.

My buddy has a seek outside Cimmarron that we are thinking of bringing I am just not sure how much of an issue with condensation we will run into?

I have a cabelas instinct 8 man double well tent but getting it to alaska and to where we are hunting would be alot of work.

Does anyone have experience with using a single wall floor-less hot tent in this climate and if so would you do it again or have any tips?

If I were you,I would use your buddies tent and stove do to weight, it's nice to be able to dry your stuff out. Its Alaska, and rain is always a possiblity, never been to Kuiu, but lived in Anchorage a few year.

The main reason for the stove would be just to dry out gear, we would be hunting the tidal flats and likely getting a little bit wet each day so we are just wanting somewhere to dry off gear.

I use a wood stove every year. No matter how wet, there is fuel to be found. Heat dries $hit out and adds comfort.

My seek outside came with an additional liner for the walls that keep condensation to a minimum. It's worth the extra money. I'd be hesitant to take my tipi to AK without it

My seek outside came with an additional liner for the walls that keep condensation to a minimum. It's worth the extra money. I'd be hesitant to take my tipi to AK without it
Thanks for the advise, I know my buddy has a floor liner but nothing for the walls. I think we are now planning on taking his tipi and a few small backpacking tents with rain flys where we can use the tipi to dry out during the day.

These folks are all right on, just a reminder, buy the best rain gear that you can afford. Have a great hunt and send us pictures.

Alot of people use them in Alaska even without the liner. They pitch them so the bottom up off the ground so there is good ventilation and that helps with condensation. I have Cimarron but haven't used it in Alaska. Seek Outside has excellent videos that answer these questions. Also Gritty has several podcasts and YouTube videos on these shelters.

Winter finally went away a couple of days ago. Now it is sunny and in the 50s-60s for the next 10-14 days. Bears will be coming out of their dens and wading down through the snow right to the beach. North end of POW has 2-3' of snow on the ground at 800' elevation and a lot more than that higher up. There will be more on Kuiu.

Winter finally went away a couple of days ago. Now it is sunny and in the 50s-60s for the next 10-14 days. Bears will be coming out of their dens and wading down through the snow right to the beach. North end of POW has 2-3' of snow on the ground at 800' elevation and a lot more than that higher up. There will be more on Kuiu.
Our trip is May 20-26, sounds like it should be pretty decent timing weather wise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back