Caribou Gear

Hornady SST 150 grain?

This actually sounds like a perfect time to buy a new rifle. Maybe a 300WSM with 180 gr accubonds. You'd love it!

SST's have worked for pretty much everything for me. I will say the do not retain weight like the GMX. But keep in mind a good shot placement will kill an elk before an expensive bullet that hits it bad.

Hasn't Hornady increased the jacket thickness on these bullets in the last few years? I know they had a reputation for being too thin-skinned and coming apart, but I think they changed that. Not sure, just hear (and read) about this very issue a lot.

Emrah

Oh, I'll add that out of a muzzleloader, it did the job quite well last year on a deer at 117 yards. It was the TC Shockwave, which is the SST bullet (.45 caliber in sabot). I never recovered the bullet, but it did blow a nice star-shaped hole through the liver and out the other side. I know this is at muzzleloader velocities though, so it's probably more in its operating range.

Emrah

Nope, in an '06 the 165 is optimal and 150 not bad but 180 is a bit too slow for an across the board usability rating - I agree that the Interbond is a well made bonded bullet but here is the rub (at least from my limited load development experience) Although the IB is a good bullet it seems to be a bit "squirrely where accuracy is concerned, don't discount it but give the Accubond a try first and try 2 different OAL's with at least 0.020 between them AND if you are not planning on anything beyond the 300-350 mark don't ignore the Partition either, darn good bullets - Sierra 165 HPGK is about the toughest game bullet Sierra makes and hard to beat as well (and Sierra's will often produce accuracy when all others have left you mumbling to yourself)

I am probably one of, if not the biggest Hornady shooter you'll ever meet... I do, for most calibers believe in shooting heavier for caliber bullets, regardless of manufacturer... I agree, there are some good tough bullets out there, I'm a firm believer that if you are familiar with your firearm, and know it well, that any bullet will do the job nicely...

Myself, I've been shooting the Hornady A-Max's in everything I shoot... And I'm a firm believer in them... A couple of years ago I shot this whitetail buck stem to stern from just shy of 300 yds with my 6.5x284 with a 140gr A-MaxI took him just below the throat patch, and I found it in the left hind quarter when I skinned it to cut him up at home...
kg49.jpg

And here's the recovered bullet @ 53% retention:
1ojw.jpg

The week after I took this buck, I took this spike bull in area 339 just behind my house from 500 yds with a high shoulder shot, dropping him like a sack of rocks, and passing completely through... Not a big whopper bull, but still elk nonetheless....:D
ixyw.jpg

I would like to see you shoot a 180gr SST in that '06, especially if it's a hunt of a lifetime, I think the 150 is a bit light if you were to have a marginal shot, but should work fine if you have a perfect broadside shot... I shoot the 180gr SST in my 308 @ 2630 fps and it shoots awesome groups, and will completely penetrate anything I shoot with it... If you're comfortable with your '06, Hornady makes a Superformance load with the 180 SST or 180 Interbonds @ over 2800 fps. Try those out, you won't be disappointed...

Oh, and good luck...

Last edited:
I don't worry too much about any particular trajectory... I.M.O. every rifle will be different, therefore I do A TON of shooting/reloading until I find the best "all around bullet" for each rifle... Like the .308 I mentioned above... It's a Model 99 Savage, and it shoots 180gr SST's the best, even with the 1:12 twist... Zeroed 3" high @ 100 yds, it's dead on @ 235 yds, and @ 400 yds is less than 20" low... I us BDC dials, so holdover is not an issue... None of my rifles have a specific zero, other than they're all 3" high @ 100yds... The reason for the near similar flightpaths is because with all things being equal other than the weights of the bullets, (i.e. bullet shape and design) the heavier bullets will actually carry their trajectory better due to higher B.C.'s... Therefore they will actually drop less once they've reached their peak trajectory... Plus, the heavier bullets will have more energy downrange too...

The 30'06 was developed for the 174gr military ball ammo, but as a sporting cartridge the 165gr bullets have been noted to be the best "all around" bullet weight... I use these "guidelines" as just that... It's a good place to start, but most rifles will require "refinement"...

Last edited:
I definitely agree with ThndrChkn. Shoot Heavy for Caliber. I shoot a .308 with 180gr Nosler Partitions at 2675 for elk. I would recommend a 180gr slug out of your '06. I know that I have to compensate for drop at range, the bigger concern at 300,400,500, however far... How much do i have to hold into this 15-20mph gusting wind.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleyhunter456
Back