MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Home Garage shops

I plan on building a small pole barn/shop here. 24x24 or larger. 6x6 post and 4x8/10 beams on concrete columns. Half will be a drive thru shed and half a small shop. 2x6 walls on 2x6 joists with 2x6 floor. 2x6 rafters.
I can get full dimension lumber from my buddies mill cheap. Have the galv. metal for 3 outside walls of shop, reclaimed.
Concrete must be made of gold in NM so no full slabs. All built on tube footers. Ready mix. 3/8 mesh under floor joists for rodent protection.
I'll have a shaded spot for the ole Tacoma or outside work on sawhorses. I'll have a small woodworking shop again.

Not my dream shop but it will work for me.
After I build my porches on the home barn I built over a free singlewide. Not my dream home either but it works.
A country boy will get by....

Attachments

• IMG_0165 (2).JPG
    IMG_0165 (2).JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0015 (1).JPG
    IMG_0015 (1).JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0174 (2).JPG
    IMG_0174 (2).JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 23
Perfect. There's a company near me that can put up a pole type building complete for less than I can on my own. Easy to make the inside what you want and need. One thing I might have done differently is an 18' foot door. Nice shop. mtmuley

Looking at building the same in a few years just can't decide what I want for height and where I want to place my doors.

Perfect. There's a company near me that can put up a pole type building complete for less than I can on my own. Easy to make the inside what you want and need. One thing I might have done differently is an 18' foot door. Nice shop. mtmuley

I definitely agree with the 18 ft door.

@mtmuley are you referring to MQS or someone else? Just curious as we are looking at a potential shop in the area for sometime in the future.
I had a MQS garage built in 2017. 10-foot walls 40 wide 32 deep with 3 8-foot-tall doors plus a walk in. They started on it on Wednesday at noon and finished at 5 pm that Friday complete with a full concrete floor. I would recommend one 8x9 door and a 8x18 door. It also has a 10x32 carport on one side. For the price it's hard to beat plus they get in and get it done and are gone.

23 years ago I built a 36' x 48' shop with 2 10'x12' OH doors. Added 18' lean to, covered space. Since have added 10x50 ft shooting range in back.
My do all heated space.
View attachment 269059
I was going to build a 30x50 w 16 ft walls,shop on the north end with carport. Loft above.
Oh well,I have a green roof and will paint the mobile sage/hay green. It will be invisible here.
The roof over the mobile has been excellent for cooling and warmth in winter. I can work out of a small shop as long as my woodworking tools are covered. Need the shop to remodel interior of MH.

Here's what I'm working with....This is the Left side of the garage with the bench mu Grandfaher built about 8 feet in from the left wall. it is only 20 inches wide so there is not enough room for the Miter saw to operate.

My plan is to move the shelves and tool boxes from the left side and put them along the back wall. Then the bench can go against the left wall, or in the back corner. And i can remove the dividing wall.garage2.jpg

Last edited:
The first phase of moving the workbench was to make room to extend the shelves that are along the North wall to across the back wall.

Once all the stuff too good to throw away was cleared.

BEFORE

1679930719539.png

AFTER from the shop side.
1679930769639.png

In the Meanwhile I have room for my Dust extraction on my miter saw at least...

1679930900387.png

I had plumbed in water 7 years ago to run clothes washer while we were remodeling. Once I put the washer and dryer in the new laundry room I didn't need the waterline I'd run temporarily. Forgot to shut the water off to it though when I went to remove it...
1679931192670.png

22 years ago when life was good and money was plentiful, my wife found a 50x100x16 surplus building. By the time I made all the modifications of 2 14x14 roll up doors and 8 skylights it cost my about 12k for the building delivered. 110 yds concrete, doors, insulation and labor to build it brought the total up to a little over 50k. I helped my neighbor with contacts and supervision 2 years ago to build pretty much the same building. It was 325k. Prices have gone up a little.

well my garage is now 99% complete.

it's not much of a shop, was never meant to be. but i at least have a little work space in the corner for various things or gun tinkering and cleaning and now bow tuning and stupid stuff like that.

the biggest chunk of work was finishing up with insulation and sheet rocking the the non code walls. then it was just a shit ton of putting up shelves and hooks.

just can't get myself to pull the trigger on those bow flex dumbbells for the "gym" yet. need weights, but i don't want to spend that kind of money. not sure there is a way around it.

it's tight, but really not bad with the car in the garage as well.

bout ready to crack one of them Trulys 😁

IMG-1790.jpg

IMG-2779.jpgIMG-2782.jpgIMG-2783.jpg

well my garage is now 99% complete.

it's not much of a shop, was never meant to be. but i at least have a little work space in the corner for various things or gun tinkering and cleaning and now bow tuning and stupid stuff like that.

the biggest chunk of work was finishing up with insulation and sheet rocking the the non code walls. then it was just a shit ton of putting up shelves and hooks.

just can't get myself to pull the trigger on those bow flex dumbbells for the "gym" yet. need weights, but i don't want to spend that kind of money. not sure there is a way around it.

it's tight, but really not bad with the car in the garage as well.

bout ready to crack one of them Trulys 😁

View attachment 283196

View attachment 283192View attachment 283193View attachment 283194
Nice, I'm guessing no basement?

Nice, I'm guessing no basement?

yeah 😩

kind of a bummer. really annoying actually. we were on like 5 lists for builders that drew names out of a hat every week - crazy times there during covid. the only one that called our name was for a collection of houses without basements and if we said no we may have never drawn again anywhere else.

yeah 😩

kind of a bummer. really annoying actually. we were on like 5 lists for builders that drew names out of a hat every week - crazy times there during covid. the only one that called our name was for a collection of houses without basements and if we said no we may have never drawn again anywhere else.
That is crazy just wondering I know some areas no basement is pretty standard others like here it's pretty rare. At least you never have to use stairs.

i'm starting to look into wall mounted fold out tables like this:

View attachment 268481

looks like you can buy the folding brackets by themselves to make your own table out of butcher block or other wood. seems like that could be the cheaper route. i do like the heavy gauge galvanized steel tho. also looking for stainless steel, i'd prefer that.
100% legit..

Some how I wound up with a box of 8 or 10 pairs of ss hinges for something like that. Long story short, Amazon said keep it.

You pay shipping there yours ifnyou want em, presuming there are still where I left em in my home shop garage.

One new twist is a couple 36 inch tall by 30 inch wide and 12 inch deep wall cabinets my uncle had left over from a dental office remodel.

Using the gun safe and a couple redwood 1x6s to act as a ledger was easier than drilling into the concrete a couple more times.
1695941591653.png

They even came out level across the two walls!

Just picked up this FREE 5 ft wide x 28 inches deep x 34 inches tall steel top bench to go along the North wall. I think with some degreaser and paint it will look sharp.
1695943284762.png

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back