Hog hunt opportunity (east Texas).

Tom

Opportunity to check out here:

BEING OFFERED BY East Texas LEASE MANAGERS, i.e. some guys who have private land leased and want to get some hogs shot, so they don't chase all the deer away:

FOR MORE INFO CONTACT:
MICAH HIGHTOWER AT:
HOME - 936-288-3197
CELL - 936-366-7532
E-MAIL - [email protected]

easttexasBuckBuster

Offering Hog Hunts in January

I am going to offer some hog hunts in january to try and thin down the hog population on our lease. we will conduct hog hunts every weekend in jan. hunts will be two day hunts. they will begin on friday evening and end on sunday. the cost will be $50.00 per person per weekend. we are located in deep east texas(broadduas) in san augustine county. we are also offering some hunts with dogs with a 3 person max. the cost of this hunt is 100.00 per person per weekend. you can use either rifle or bow, some ground blinds will be avalibile,but if you have a tree blind we suggest you bring it.we will be putting out bait for you to hunt over.

we have a campground with elec. and water, and we have a community restroom and shower.you can bring your trailer or pitch a tent, there is also a couple of motels if needed, in broaddus or san augustine, Texas.

Its a $45 over the counter out of state liscense.

Its probably better if you could go quick, as the pressure will make the hogs more cautious. They haven't been shot at during deer season much, people waiting for bucks to come out. I haven't done it at this place, but have heard people talk about all the hogs around there some.

Shame the hunts won't be until January, I have been off work from Dec.15 till Jan.4 for Christmas shutdown.

Maybe he'd let you go early? If its a lease, they have it now. He just said Jan. because deer season is going till then. I think that's why anyway, I haven't ask him. They might be able to accomodate one or two from Tennessee, lots of travel and you have the time. You won't know, if you don't ask.

Tom...does Texas have a age limit on hunting? I would like to take Alexis on a hog hunt.

No, there's no lower age limit. In fact, out of state youth hunting liscenses are only $6 and they are over the counter. Our hunting year goes from Sept.1 to Aug.31 the next year, so, if you got Alexis a $6 liscense today, it would go till Aug.31, 2006. An adult would pay $300 for that liscense, but a non-resident youth gets a liscense for $6, it covers hogs, whitetail, javelina, everything but alligator. The alligator liscense is a special liscense. I know a guy who had some $80 whitetail doe hunts near Kerrville, TX, he might still have some, if you want me to find his contact info. There are youth hunt draws too, but that's more like for next year. Its called Texas Parks and Wildlife, TPWD, that's the people that sell the liscenses, etc., make the limits, seasons, etc. But, Wal-marts, sports stores, etc. have the liscenses in computers now too.

WOW! We used to hunt a lease owned by Champion International that was in Polk County on the Neches River (North of Corrigan). I loved hunting the hogs out there, and there were plenty to go 'round. Good and tasty. Wish I could get down there in Jan, but our next trip that way is scheduled for March. They grow em big in that neck o' the woods.

Here's a public hunting place up in northeast Texas by a lake, right when you get into Texas from the north or northeast. Its like $10/day. Good luck. Any weapon Jan.2 to Aug.31, call them and check it out.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_112a_705.pdf

There's places for a few hundred that are more of a guarantee, i.e. better odds. There's some public hunts in March that were a draw feral hog hunt, but they are way down on the coast. They had 72% and 100% success last year for getting a hog, if you hunted. Pat Mayse is not that high, ask them when you call them, they keep data on it, I think.

We've got like a couple million hogs in this state, so there are lots of places with hogs, with lots of different prices and amenities too.

My hunting pards and I would like to pay up to about 400 for a decent hunt set up this spring.

If anyone has had good luck with a particular ranch or outfitter I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

Thx.

Yo pooh, don't go spending any money on a special hunt......
You know you will just get Buckego and blow the shot......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Its 10 bucks per day, I mean dollars. Where do you get $90? That's the draw hunts, they are $50, but they are over. There's also the places here you don't draw for. The $10/day place is one of those. Call them up.

If b-killin is right, you'll get 0 hogs. haha Ok, I'm goint to find my old post on this great hog setup, its 1 hour south of San Antonio. Its different though, its night hunting, which is a lot of fun and 6 can go a time, maybe more if the main man, Glenn gets his neighbors in on the deal. You'd have to ask him, as it is at his place. I like that guy Glen a lot, he has 100s of hogs in the area.

Here it is, from last June. If you hunt a few days, you could get the price up to $400, if not, send me the difference, it will come out to $400. haha
I used to go to this 2000 acre milo farm and get 4-5 hogs each summer. Its my favorite place to hunt hogs. He tried to keep them out back then when I was going, so he could harvest more milo, he even had electric wire around the place. He's switching to just ranching and hog hunting now, tractor fuel for farming the milo went up, grain prices went down. Now, he has all cattle, its less work and he tries to attract the hogs. He has night hog hunts, really 24 hrs a day. There are blinds with nice chairs and bunkbeds. He can handle 1 to 6 hunters per night, right now and has a friends place, if this is successful, to more than double that. That's the most successful time there, during the night. Most people shoot one, he said, I talked with him yesterday at the monthly gun show, some shoot more, its no limit though. Cleaning them would be the limiting factor most likely. He's attracting hogs now.

Glenn Gembler 830-569-5467 in McCoy, Texas south of San Antonio about 1 hour drive. Off of I-37, the road to Corpus Christi, at mile marker 98, about 7 miles east and 1 miles north, you're right at his gate. $175/day for 1 hunter, $150 each for 2 to 5, and $125 each for 6. The out of state over the counter liscense is $45.

They've got sizes up to about 300 lbs recently. There's barbeques for cooking, the bunks for sleeping, water for washing out the hogs. Its got lots of hogs.

Tom, When we went there last spring, we found out you don't need a hunting license to shoot hogs.

:cool:

Danr, you need a $45 liscense at places that charge for hunting hogs. Only if the place doesn't charge and the landowner authorizes you to help exterminate hogs do you not need a liscense. I could find it, the actual law, when I have time. I'm headed out for the weekend soon though. Westman, that place is neat, it really is, at least I think so.

Here's the Texas statutory code:

§ 42.005. NONRESIDENT LICENSE REQUIRED. (a) No
nonresident in this state may hunt a mule deer, white-tailed deer,
turkey, pronghorn antelope, or desert bighorn sheep in this state
without first having acquired a general nonresident hunting[0]
license.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (f), no nonresident may
hunt any bird or animal in this state without first having acquired
a general nonresident hunting[0] license, a nonresident special
hunting[0] license, or a nonresident five-day special hunting[0] license.
(f) A nonresident landowner or the landowner's agent or
lessee may take feral hogs[0] causing depredation on the nonresident
landowner's land without having acquired a hunting[0] license required
by this chapter.

Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 1405, ch. 545, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1975.
Amended by Acts 1977, 65th Leg., p. 317, ch. 150, § 1, eff. Aug.
29, 1977; Acts 1981, 67th Leg., p. 1859, ch. 439, § 1, eff. Aug.
31, 1981; Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 267, art. 2, § 9, eff. Sept.
1, 1985; Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 609, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987;
Acts 1991, 72nd Leg., ch. 95, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1991; Acts 1997,
75th Leg., ch. 863, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 2003, 78th
Leg., ch. 809, § 3, eff. June 20, 2003.

It hasn't changed since 2003 and I remember reading that the hogs are not causing depredation when they make money off of people hunting them, so that's when the liscense is needed. You'd have to find a landowner that just wants the hogs killed and doesn't charge and have him assign you as his agent to kill the hogs. Then, you could hunt them without a liscense, as I understand it. Our TPWD has a Law Enforcement division if you want to ask them.

When this came out, I called our local office. Its was a first for Texas, no liscense like this and its strange. They hypothesized some influential landowner was killing hogs after his crops were getting destroyed and didn't have a liscense, so he got ticketed, then he got this law passed. Its real unusual and never happened before, but it got passed in 2003. Most all of them have a hunting liscense anyway, that's what is so strange, but it got passed.

The non-resident special 5 day hunting liscense is $45 and covers hogs, javelina, and all exotics. Its described at the TPWD web site and available at Wal-marts, sports stores, etc.

Back