Yeti GOBOX Collection

Higher magnification binoculars instead of spotting scope

Southern Elk

I don't know about you guys, but I hate using a spotting scope. I would much rather use my binoculars. I currently have a pair with 10X magnification. I'm thinking about buying a new pair. I'm thinking about using them on my tripod instead of the spotting scope. My question is what magnification is enough to justify this purchase? Do I need 12X or should I get 15X? If any of you use this method, please list your setup.

I use a pair of Leupold Switchpower bino that are normally 10x42s, but by flipping a dial a second set of lenses make them 17x. I use the 17x while I am sitting down and scanning, and its super helpful, but I still feel that I need a spotter to help verify a lot of animals. I have been using the little Nikon ED50 for a spotter, and it has been pretty good, but I still wouldnt mind more magnification at time. just my 2 cents.

I'd go with 15x if you also want to carry a 10x. I'm even thinking of going with a lightweight 8x32 and the 15x I love.

Just to make it more confusing, some people just carry a 12x.

Regardless, binos have much less eye fatigue and you will be glassing very well as long as you put any bino on a tripod. Even 8x.

Its easy to get eye strain with binos or a scope. I've found that with excellent 10x binos (Leica Ultravids) I can glass for hours without eyestrain. I've also found that using a great spotter (Bausch &Lomb 77mm apochromat) with an eye patch from the drug store will allow me to grid a hillside at 20-30x depending on mirage when the 10x is not enough. I get in a comfortable position and have sat for hours with no headache of eyestrain. If you go with 15x binos get the best optics you can afford or it won't matter. You won't be able to spend the time it really takes to pick a ridge or canyon apart. The headaches aren't worth it. GJ

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but I hate using a spotting scope. I would much rather use my binoculars. I currently have a pair with 10X magnification. I'm thinking about buying a new pair. I'm thinking about using them on my tripod instead of the spotting scope. My question is what magnification is enough to justify this purchase? Do I need 12X or should I get 15X? If any of you use this method, please list your setup.

I'll get back to you in a week with an answer to your question. I have 2 pairs of binos headed my direction, both the cabelas Euro hd (meopta meostars) in 12x and 15x. I will only be keeping one of them but I have to look for myself so I can pick the best option. If it's the 12, they will fly solo. If the 15s make the cut, I'll likely carry the Maven b3 8x30 for shorter distances and stalking. The Leica 7x rangefinder will always be along so it may be used as a short range monocular also. This question has consumed far too much of my brain for a while now.

If you plan on using them mostly from the tripod, get the higher magnification. For me, I can't imagine using anything over 10X handheld very often. Just too much wiggle and shake to take advantage of the extra magnification. My pard has a super slick system. Wears 10X around his neck, starts with the 15X on the tripod and then has a spotter if he really wants to check something out. I was seriously impressed with how well one could pick a part country with a good set of 15X on a tripod.

I've waffled on adding a pair of 15x's to the fold for a while. The reality is that I wouldn't use them often enough to justify the cost, given that I wouldn't care to have entry level glass in the big eyes. Mostly a function of terrain and hunting style at this stage. I'd have to sell too much other stuff I already like to fund them :)

I use 8x30's for thick stuff in close,10x50's for most glassing now (on tripod or around the neck) & a 60 spotter for long distance,also have 10x40's. Here in NM most is fairly open long distance glassing. I take the spotter scouting & sometimes on hunts,but the tripod is in the pack for long glassing with the 10x50 binos & to shoot off.
Don't think I'd every carry 12 or 15 for around the neck glassing,too much bounce & weight. But great on a tripod.

Last edited:
I run viper 12x50's with a tripod and a razor 11-33 spotter for really getting a good look at something if I need to. I don't find it too hard to hold the 12's steady off hand but thats going to differ from person to person. I really like this combo because the little extra with the 12's on the tripod do a great job trying to find animals then switching to the small spotter if needed.

I bought a pair of Vortex Vulture HD 15s last year because I felt like they were the best option for me to comfortably get a closer look at animals and also something I could afford. My thinking was that the high powered binos would be all I need and would produce much less eye strain than a spotter. I can definitely look over an animal for size better than with my 10s, but the less-than-top-quality glass in the Vultures makes glassing for long periods with them a little tough, which sort of defeats the whole purpose. I already use my 10s on a tripod to find the critters, then switch to the 15s to look them over more closely, so if I were to do it over again I would probably just save for a quality spotter because I'd just be doing the same thing with better magnification.

But if I was just rolling around in money, I'd get on the waiting list for the new Swarovski BTXs...

If'n I was moving to where you are in MT... I would get the best spotting scope I could buy. You'll be able to glass all sorts of critters from your front window if you have a spotter... not so much with a pair of bios.

10x binos for me and a nice spotter which I rarely leave home without, unless its super thick/flat country.

The 12's got here yesterday, 15's should be here tomorrow. I'm very impressed with the Meopta/Cabelas 12x50 optics. The build quality isn't as good as my Maven 8x42 but the view through them is excellent.

I'm wanting them for multiple purposes, some of which include handheld use (3d archery competition, scouting/hunting) so I'm betting that I will choose the 12x over the 15x.

I was surprised at how easily I could handhold the 12's also, which was a nice surprise.

If'n I was moving to where you are in MT... I would get the best spotting scope I could buy. You'll be able to glass all sorts of critters from your front window if you have a spotter... not so much with a pair of bios.

10x binos for me and a nice spotter which I rarely leave home without, unless its super thick/flat country.

I have what is supposed to be a decent Vanguard spotter, but I much prefer glassing with my binoculars. Maybe it's because I don't have much experience with spotting scopes or maybe the Vangaurd isn't any good.

I hope this doesnt come across rude, but I think this might be the answer

Not at all. I bought it to elk hunt one week each year. Now that I'm moving to MT, I may eventually upgrade. I do still believe binoculars with higher magnification might better suit my needs.

In my experience a spotter is more versatile than high power binos. 15x seem to be suited best for looking for animals over a large landscape. I've found them great for bear hunting. If I were you I'd upgrade your spotter first.

The 12's got here yesterday, 15's should be here tomorrow. I'm very impressed with the Meopta/Cabelas 12x50 optics. The build quality isn't as good as my Maven 8x42 but the view through them is excellent.

I'm wanting them for multiple purposes, some of which include handheld use (3d archery competition, scouting/hunting) so I'm betting that I will choose the 12x over the 15x.

I was surprised at how easily I could handhold the 12's also, which was a nice surprise.

What did you decide and how did you like both the 12 and 15

Well...

I had the 15's for about 2 weeks, decided that while they are nice for finding critters at a distance, they don't help to judge the animals very much at all and not significantly better than the 12's. I returned the 15's (but I sort of regret returning them since I won't be able to replicate that deal very easily.)

I decided to keep the 12's and was comfortable with that decision, other than the weight and the ergonomics of the Euro's. They are a bit blocky and somewhat heavy (the 12's were blocky, the 15's are actually really nicely balanced, but less versatile). Also, the build quality/finer points of the Euro's was a little less than I had grown to appreciate. (The plastic and painted focus knob was a real buzz kill).

So, I listed the 12x50's, unwilling to lose any money and they sold.

I replaced them with 11x45's from Maven, the B2. They're light years better in terms of luxurious build quality and ergonomics, better light transmission, and I just like them more (emotional bias). The Euro's were great optically, as are the Maven's, but the Maven was just a better overall experience for me.

Then I found a good deal on a Kowa Prominar 663 with a fixed wide angle 30x eyepiece and added it to the quiver as well. This is my first spotter. I like it. The view through the 30x wide is amazing. From what I have read in several places, from experienced and savvy optics people, is that quality of image should be valued well ahead of magnification and so far,I believe them. I really like the 30x 66mm spotter from Kowa.

I'll likely spend more than 80% of my time behind the 11x45 Maven's, and I really like them. The spotter gives me the long ball for when I need it. I'm sure I'll get the itch to try a zoom eyepiece at some point but for now, the 30x wide is really nice.

I'm finally happy with the optics system I have in place, though the 55mm Kowa with flourite and 28oz is EXTREMELY appealing. (I had to see if I'd actually like/use a spotter much before committing at that $$$ level).

So, that's my story.

Last edited:
I have that 55mm Kowa on the way, should be here later this month hopefully before my scouting trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back