Caribou Gear

High country mule deer book

Addicting

I am looking for a few good books on mule deer. I got a hankering for one of those deep dark 4x4s for a Euro Mount. I will never have enough points to hunt the Henry Mountains or the late season Kaibab. Nor will I ever have the money to go on a guided deer hunt. So I would like to learn more about hunting them elsewhere. Specifically high country mule deer. I see Eastmans had one they published in 1995. Wondering if it’s worth the 24.95 or if there are others I should read.

Thanks

Oh it's definitely worth it IMO. Just have to remember when reading it that not everywhere is the Wyoming Range.

It has some decent pointers, but as mentioned it's pretty specific. Mike Duplan and David Long published a book "The Edge," on mountain mule deer. Those guys know how to find and kill big deer in all sorts of terrain and time of year.

Several years back my mom got me a Dwight Schuh book on hunting mule deer for Christmas. ED06413F-2B03-466C-8EDE-6EDFF08BE662.jpegIt’s more on open country hunting he did in eastern Oregon but a good read nonetheless. Might wanna check this one out.

Thanks for the suggestion, I currently have Eastmans on my kindle. It’s been worth it so far, definitely some things I hadn’t thought about in it.

Oh it's definitely worth it IMO. Just have to remember when reading it that not everywhere is the Wyoming Range.

It was a good read, finished it up tonight. I couldn’t help but wonder if most of that info is outdated now. The invention of the internet and people further and further into the back country has had to significantly reduce the places he talks about.

I would imagine there are still places where it is relevant but yes, I would also agree that much of the more easily accessible country is probably over ran with other hunters and the deer reflect that in changed behavior. @SnowyMountaineer would probably be the best to weigh in on that.

I would imagine there are still places where it is relevant but yes, I would also agree that much of the more easily accessible country is probably over ran with other hunters and the deer reflect that in changed behavior. @SnowyMountaineer would probably be the best to weigh in on that.
I have read the book, though it's been a number of years. The principles discussed are valid, but as noted many things are just different. I didn't experience WY mule deer hunting then, so I can only use things like their accounts as a representation of what it was like. Probably the biggest apparent difference is that it's extremely rare to experience mule deer reacting primarily to natural tendencies during September and October. That's fine, it's just different. Some of their stuff about "when this happens, the deer do X" just isn't really applicable the same way it probably used to be.
-Seasons and population structures among mule deer herds are way different. IIRC they were boating across the river to kill a big buck they glassed up in December.
-Back then there were some horse guys, and a very small handful of backpack hunters. Lots of people hunting out of a backpack now.
-Archery pressure is very significantly higher now.
-They were behind the times in backpacking skills, even for the day, and probably tougher mentally than most guys are now.

If someone was starting from scratch on hunting muleys up high, there are useful thing to be gleaned from it. Mostly to be thoughtful and strategic in every way...how you glass to pick apart the country, making a logical plan for different weather and seasonal patterns, etc. That's my two cents anyway.

I have not read "The Edge", but would like to.

My personal favorite is the goat’s book, Robby Denning.

It’s not 100% about high country alpine type country, but more of a focus on giant deer and tactics for wherever you find them.

I’ve been curious about this one. Does he discuss how to get landowner tags every year and how to lease private land?

I’ve been curious about this one. Does he discuss how to get landowner tags every year and how to lease private land?

I wanna say he's killed 10 or more bucks over 190", only 2 or 3 on private land. He mentions that he has never paid more than $500 for
a landowner tag. I believe him, as I don't think he's making more money than a school teacher.

Back