Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hey captain dipshit! Wrap your chains!

I was on a call this morning and standing out in the arboretum that borders the highway. I saw 2 different hay trailers dragging chains as they went by...
And you didn’t fire any shots at them?

It’s inevitable with the amount of new people pulling campers and ATV/UTV trailers. I’ve noticed a huge uptick in really stupid things being done by trailer toting idiots the last few years.

Draggy brakes are my favorite. They don’t have a brake controller other than the he factory one. Max it out and smoke the trailer brakes everywhere they go. Just seen it today, speed goes from 65 to 45 near a local town. The guy obviously was just tapping his pickup brakes but blue smoke was rolling from every camper axle.

by twisting your safety chains you can make them shorter and not drag,,by crossing your chains your lenth wont change much when turning and it also cradles the tounge if it comes off the ball,,standard trucker procedures,but alot of people dont have the common sense to do proper.
I've twisted my safety chains for years to adjust length. But it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I heard about crossing the chains to form a cradle. I live in rural Oklahoma and have worked construction my entire life, pulling trailers almost every day and nobody had ever mentioned this to me. I do it now every time I hook up a trailer. I don't think it's a matter of not having common sense. Some people were just never taught any different.

Often the sound is drowned out by their low psi recaps gradually coming apart. Lazy shitheads.
Recaps should be banned. Seen way too many come apart and hit cars almost causing a wreck. A good tire is a hell of a lot cheaper than hurting someone and living with it.

Recaps should be banned. Seen way too many come apart and hit cars almost causing a wreck. A good tire is a hell of a lot cheaper than hurting someone and living with it.
By law they cannot be used on front wheels. We already have a critical problem dealing with tire carcasses for passenger vehicles (which cannot use recaps). I can't imagine how much worse it would be if 18-wheelers weren't allowed to recycle tires for rear wheels. There simply is no excuse for truckers to keep driving when they know the tire is low on pressure. Those assholes should lose their CDLs. Period.

By law they cannot be used on front wheels. We already have a critical problem dealing with tire carcasses for passenger vehicles (which cannot use recaps). I can't imagine how much worse it would be if 18-wheelers weren't allowed to recycle tires for rear wheels. There simply is no excuse for truckers to keep driving when they know the tire is low on pressure. Those assholes should lose their CDLs. Period.
It’s not so much a pressure thing as it is a separation thing. Re-caps will start to come apart as it gets warm, cold, or dry rot. But people still don’t look and just take off.

It’s not so much a pressure thing as it is a separation thing. Re-caps will start to come apart as it gets warm, cold, or dry rot. But people still don’t look and just take off.
Run big multi-belted high ply tires low on pressure and they get hot. They get hot and the recaps separate. It is indeed mostly a pressure thing. Or it was when I got my CDL license.

its all part of a cdl pre trip inspection,,alot of people skip or dont think its important untill it causes an accident, or the company is push,push ,push, heck there are some cdl guys that cant read english out there and thats scary like the colorado accident that killed several people a couple years ago.

Run big multi-belted high ply tires low on pressure and they get hot. They get hot and the recaps separate. It is indeed mostly a pressure thing. Or it was when I got my CDL license.
Not saying it’s not, but recaps come apart even inflated. That’s why you see so many “alligators” along the interstate in the summer. Those long chunks are re-caps. A normal tire will shred into smaller pieces. Not always but most of the time.

I drive those tractor trailer rigs. I’ve done so for 28 years, recaps aren’t a problem. Tractor and trailer get one set of virgin rubber (steer tires excluded). Since the installation of auto inflate systems on our trailers tire problems are nill. Under inflation causes heat and that is what kills the tires, under inflation.

No doubt you have reasons for your opinion, but facts don’t back it up.

And you didn’t fire any shots at them?

It’s inevitable with the amount of new people pulling campers and ATV/UTV trailers. I’ve noticed a huge uptick in really stupid things being done by trailer toting idiots the last few years.

Draggy brakes are my favorite. They don’t have a brake controller other than the he factory one. Max it out and smoke the trailer brakes everywhere they go. Just seen it today, speed goes from 65 to 45 near a local town. The guy obviously was just tapping his pickup brakes but blue smoke was rolling from every camper axle.
Somewhat related when I was still farming I can't tell you the amount of horse people that would come to pick up hay and try to use a ratchet strap like a rope. They had no idea it would tighten. I'm convinced this is what's wrong with America..very hard to watch. Then they'd drive off to there two million dollar horse property..

Back