Help with Scoring my Whitetail

SD_Prairie_Goat

Hey All,

Hoping to get a little guidance on scoring my buck. I did a first preliminary pass at scoring, and I think I messed up with measuring the spreads (I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to scoring so be easy).
1284A620-53DD-476C-A564-B3A4DA8F7DFF.jpeg

I think I am fairly accurate with everything except B, C, and D...

I will include some photos with the tape measure to help with scale, which measurements do I use for what?

And does 150 sound right for this buck?! Seems high to me which is why I am checking with everyone....

161FE6DC-6CA3-4609-8C88-CAC69C5862FF.jpeg
69B5A7B8-E642-4BAD-BCEB-DA7602DC04F2.jpeg
AB8BC520-5CDE-47FB-9ECF-A8B5A0195E40.jpeg
57EA6E3F-026A-416E-A5DA-F112356EE6D3.jpeg
C573BB38-A9ED-4A10-AB57-DFF400362747.jpeg

I'll do a write up later, but here are two photos for overall buck quality:
B588F657-3070-4D49-AF11-8D1A0A9288E1.jpeg
3F149FEF-117A-424E-95D2-700DF5816AE3.jpeg
309C761E-8A71-4343-90D5-10CE37EF9AC5.jpeg

Hey All,

Hoping to get a little guidance on scoring my buck. I did a first preliminary pass at scoring, and I think I messed up with measuring the spreads (I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to scoring so be easy).
View attachment 251451

I think I am fairly accurate with everything except B, C, and D...

I will include some photos with the tape measure to help with scale, which measurements do I use for what?

And does 150 sound right for this buck?! Seems high to me which is why I am checking with everyone....

View attachment 251455
View attachment 251456
View attachment 251457
View attachment 251459
View attachment 251458

I'll do a write up later, but here are two photos for overall buck quality:
View attachment 251452
View attachment 251453
View attachment 251454
Did I mess up by including the G-5 length??

150 is close. Tall tines, symmetrical, lacks mass but carry’s it well. I always use a tailors ruler to score antlers. An official scorer uses flexible metal. The inside spread is taken at the widest point, perpendicular to the center of the skull.

B & C don't get added into the total score so they don't matter in that regard. It looks like you did B right, but C is greatest spread of the antlers, outside to outside. On a rack shaped like yours that is probably the outsides of the main beams, with the tape/string pulled across the width of the rack.

For D it looks like you pulled from the outside of the antler beam on the zero end of the tape. To measure correctly, put that end of the tape against the inside of the main beam, and read the tape at the inside edge of the opposite main beam. Where that measurement is largest, you have your inside spread (D). D is always measured between the main beams, whether the points sweep outward from there or not.

There are no G-5 measurements on a straight 5x5 like you have. The beam "point" only figures into the main beam length.

Using the ol stanley 😂😂🤣 I can’t help I’m sure I’d get ridiculed but that’s not exactly the type of tape you’re supposed to be using. It doesn’t fold the curves like it needs. There’s videos and many pros use line tape to show where to measure

It looks to me that you measured too many points. Should only be g-1 thru g-4

Using the ol stanley 😂😂🤣 I can’t help I’m sure I’d get ridiculed but that’s not exactly the type of tape you’re supposed to be using. It doesn’t fold the curves like it needs. There’s videos and many pros use line tape to show where to measure
That was to make the photos easier!

I actually use P-cord and then lay it out on the tape to make each measurement, still not legit I know but closer

That was to make the photos easier!

I actually use P-cord and then lay it out on the tape to make each measurement, still not legit I know but closer
I dig it. And that sounds more accurate IMO. I also use a tape that a seamstress would use. I’d guess around 144 ish… good buck!

Nice buck!

Get a 1/4" steel tape or a fabric tape to measure. Those carpenter tapes don't work very well, and unless you are using a cable that won't stretch to measure circumference, they won't be accurate. Same goes for the main beams. Those big tapes slip and slide and don't bend well.

I'd guess that buck around 130 net. tip to tip and greatest spread aren't used in the score, and you caught your mistake on the G5.

Still a great buck regardless of the score.

Looks like a 140ish buck to me. Still a good one either way!

I still mess up. I measured one last year that I came up with 160” and I knew it was wrong. I don’t remember what I did wrong but it ended up like 137”.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back