Caribou Gear

help - rebarrel Ruger Tang Safety

homers

I have a Ruger Tang Safety ~1978ish in 7x57 and would like to have someone rebarrel it. Looking for a barrel that is drop in replacement. I want to stick with 7x57, not sure of what twist I should get. Also, should I get the receiver reblued or will it match close enough with the new barrel? Any, and all, suggestions, feedback welcomed.

I have a Ruger Tang Safety ~1978ish in 7x57 and would like to have someone rebarrel it. Looking for a barrel that is drop in replacement. I want to stick with 7x57, not sure of what twist I should get. Also, should I get the receiver reblued or will it match close enough with the new barrel? Any, and all, suggestions, feedback welcomed.
Needs to have a competent gunsmith cut the extractor groove in a new barrel.
Send it to @p_ham

I would do a 1:8 twist.
The Ruger receivers can be finicky about bluing. It's easy for them to cast a purplish hue.

Definitely send it to p_ham and have him work his magic.
The Ruger does have a claw extractor but like mention it’s a flat breech design and very simple to rebarrel.
I would recommend you have him rework the trigger and bed the rifle also. The angled recoil lug design of the Ruger can really benefit from a bedding job.

Pac-nor.

IMG952343.jpg

I had the same gun rebarreled to 7mm Mauser Ackley Improved. 22" Douglas XX air gauged bbl with a 1:9 or 1:10 twist (can't remember).

1:9 is standard and should get you good accuracy with 120-140 grain bullets mine likes 140 grain ttsx's with a full case of rl17.

Any competent smith will be able to hook you up. @p_ham does lovely work!

Douglas Barrels of West VA
XX Air Prem

If your comfortable doing the work yourself, i'd say Pac-Nor or Douglas barrels.

Still the same barrel makers, just if you need someone to put it on for you, i'd suggest @p_ham.

I wouldn't bother trying to make the bluing match the receiver.
It won't.
All 3 of mine have a different color from the factory. The receiver a slightly purplish hue.
Something to do with how the Ruger receivers are cast.

As for twist rate.
What bullet are you shooting now?
A 1:9 twist (standard 7mm fare) will shoot up through the 180gr no problem.

Awhile back I asked a similar question about my tang safety Ruger, but specifically about Pac-Nor barrels and their work. All were good reviews.

That said, I don't think anyone mentioned p-ham's work. Since I haven't taken the leap yet, I'll have to get in touch and see what he has to say.

Back